Laserkit Dabler Mill & Supply

Started by Oldguy, August 17, 2020, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Beautiful, Bob.

Those little 'feet' to hide any discrepancies in the rooftop legs are a good idea.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Quote from: mark dalrymple on September 09, 2020, 03:00:34 PM
Beautiful, Bob.

Those little 'feet' to hide any discrepancies in the rooftop legs are a good idea.

Cheers, Mark.
Thanks.  And Yes, they should do a good job of hiding mistooks, while looking like they were designed for another purpose.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now it was time to add the pesky ladder on the tower.  But of course, there is an issue.  The rail bottoms aren't even because of the sloped roof.  But they are designed backwards.  The illustration shows the correct orientation, but the template is off.  Not by much.   No biggie, a quick snip of the tip,and voila.

I am liking doing the photo overlay on the plastic sacks.  I find that the important dimension for scaling is the width.  It should go around the sides, but all the way around.  The camera makes them a lot more rough than they look.  I'll do just enough for the top sacks and apply the overlay on the sides only of the lower sacks.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I decided that a 18x24 piece of gator foam would work as a base.  It has enough extra room for roads, track, etc.
So here is where I'm at at present.

The first shot is of the rear of the building.  The "tunnel" has two interior docks, each with a dock floor that is inset.  It is designed for a track access, but one could just as easily make it for trucks.  There is a casting that is an auger, to fit between the tracks for dumping grain and sending it to the tower.

I noticed that I need to add the steps, which I had left off for handling.

The front has a beam up by the roof peak for hoisting whatever.  I'm not sure to where as there are no doors.  One extra bit of detail that could be added to the  louvers, would have been window screening, mainly for the upper open areas. 

The next side is rather plain, which is why I added the "extra dock canopy" over the first dock door.  The grain spout is interesting.  Too short and weirdly placed for box car loading and a bit tall for trailer loading.  I need to weather this, but the glue was still drying.

The back building also need to be a bit weathered, but they were just glued on.  You can now see why these weren't added earlier. 

Not shown is the office building.  Which could have been added under the yellow sign.  At ground level.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Fantastic build Bob , I love big buildings especially when done so well.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Bob,

I really like the look of this kit and how you painted and weathered the entire structure.

Very well done and fun to follow along as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Bob.

Interesting from all angles and a real eye catcher.  It must be one of the biggest kits out there.   Looking forward to watching you plant it on your diorama.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Thank you all.  This is the biggest structure that I have ever built and finding a place for it will require me building a second deck and I haven't even finished building the first level.  My railroad is limited to a 24" depth and this is 18".  We'll see. 

So for now, I have the extra detail parts with it and the whole shebang sitting on some mainline track around the corner.

So, the final shots include the placement of various bags that have a paper overlay.  Well nuts, I see I missed an edge to paint.  I'll fix it before long.

But first, I really, really need to clean up my work area.  And this doesn't show three wire storage racks of stuff behind my chair.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Zephyrus52246

I like what you did with the sacks, I'm stealing that idea.  ;D  The whole structure looks great.

Jeff