Murr Maybury Grist mill question

Started by T.C., September 15, 2020, 01:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.C.

I haven't posted much here but I do read most of the post you very talented people put up.
My question is : The kit comes with Campbells shingles witch I was going to replace with real ceder shingles.           
Where I get confused is pictures of this building only has six rows of shingles.The kit roof cards have eighteen rows and maybe more on the center section of the building.    I am making the shingles so I can make them any size I want, the only problem is I dont know how wide to make them?For the length I will divide the roof cards by six and add for overlap, but the width has me stumped?Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will try to post a picture of the real thing if I can figure it out.Thanks T.C.

bparrish

T C

Great structure............

I just heard this yesterday............  What timing ! ! !

A guy went to a custom cigar maker and got non-aromatic cedar cigar wrappers and used them for shingles.

I don't have access to such things as we don't have a cigar maker in town here in Downtown Idaho.

But.......... I'll bet with the Cuban influence of Florida....... you can probably find some.  Would not take a lot and the stuff would work well with an x-acto blade.
Just a thought

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Mark Dalrymple

We have vary limited shingles here in New Zealand, but I have put them on a gable end.

I remember them being about half as wide as they were long at widest, but the width varied significantly between shingles.  Looking at the roof in your picture, and where you can see adjacent 'curls', this seems about right.

Cheers, Mark.

T.C.

Thanks for the replies:
Looking at the picture they must be really long or the Campbells are really short, it's the difference between the six rows apposed to eighteen rows that concerns me?

Bob I'm about two and a half hours north of Miami around Vero Beach so that's a long way to go for roofing, Besides you can buy then on Amazon and not have to leave the house.
Or go to your favorite BBQ store or Amazon and buy some Gourmet cooking wraps for grilling.  https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Fire-Grilling-Co-Cedar/dp/B07DVM59K9/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Cedar+Wraps&qid=1600017979&sr=8-5
They come in about 4"x6" sheets for different prices.
The hard part is cutting them into shingles, I cut two sheets into Campbell size shingles in about three hours on Sunday.
I now have a better system so it will go quicker, I hope ?
Four rows would also go much quicker than the eighteen, just dont want it to look odd or out of place with oversize shingles, I'm not a construction worker so I haven't a clue.
T.C.

Oldguy

So what you are looking for is the dimensions of a shake shingle?  If so, they can vary from 16" to 24" long and widths can vary from 6" to 12".  The reveal will vary by roof pitch and length of shingle.  Try a 4" reveal for a 16", 6" revel for 18", and 8" for 24" long shingle.
As to the cedar for shingles, might try to work out a deal at a local tobacco store to have them save the high-end cigar wrappers.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond