Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Night (or early morning) scene looks great, John.

And you can see the hay in the cows mouth and the cow pat!  I must say that cow pat has a bit better slump than the ones I see around here - perhaps its the diet?

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

Quote from: mark dalrymple on September 11, 2020, 03:21:45 PM
...I must say that cow pat has a bit better slump than the ones I see around here - perhaps its the diet?

Cheers, Mark.

It probably has something to do with the gravity on the bottom half of the globe :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Night (or early morning) scene looks great, John.

And you can see the hay in the cows mouth and the cow pat!  I must say that cow pat has a bit better slump than the ones I see around here - perhaps its the diet?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words - as for the consistency of the cow pat my experience is that temperature has more to do with it - in the barn it's fresh and sloppy.  I tried three different colors before I was satisfied with the color.  I settled on brown green. That's the color name on the bottle. Why do I see this turning into another nail head discussion? ;) :o  We sure do have fun in this hobby.

On another topic, the hay, I used a static grass with a little green to it rather than the straw color that Greg used. I checked out some hay that was still in the barn at my Grandparent's place and it still had some green to it after 30 - 40  years in the barn.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on September 11, 2020, 04:31:39 PM
...I must say that cow pat has a bit better slump than the ones I see around here - perhaps its the diet?

Cheers, Mark.

It probably has something to do with the gravity on the bottom half of the globe :-) :-)

dave

David

If I remember my physics correctly, I think gravity would affect the direction of the slump. ;)
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

As far as your lighting goes, I have a couple stories.  I worked for a neighbor on his dairy farm while in high school.  I used the money I earned to buy my first beef cows.  Anyway, the milk inspector came to the farm and looked at the wattage on the bulbs.  He told the farmer he had to replace all those 60 watt bulbs with 100 watt bulbs to meet the necessary lighting standard.  The farmer I worked for was less than happy and decided to take action.  he had me remove every light bulb in the barn and use a scrub pad to remove the wattage printed on the bulbs before he was re-inspected.  FWIW, he passed the second inspection.

The farm next to mine was owned by the son of the gentleman I purchased my farm from.  i was in his barn one day helping him load pigs one day.  He turned the lights on and only half of them came on.  I asked if half the bulbs were burned out.  He said they were OK and proceeded to turn on the other half of the lights.  He had been visited by the milk inspector who told him his lighting was not up to snuff.  He installed the additional bulbs but wired them to a separate switch.  He said one day the milk inspector showed up unannounced and he had only half the lights on.  The inspector started to comment and Al, who had fortunately been standing near the switch, flicked the second set of lights on and played dumb.  I never found out if the inspector realized what had happened and overlooked it or if he was really clueless. 

Nice work detailing the barn interior.  I agree with your comment regarding how much interior detail is warranted when not all can be seen.  I think you may have gone above and beyond, but the lighting shows off much of what you did.  Have you ever considered mounting a photo of the interior on the fascia?
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 11, 2020, 07:49:05 PM
John,

As far as your lighting goes, I have a couple stories.  I worked for a neighbor on his dairy farm while in high school.  I used the money I earned to buy my first beef cows.  Anyway, the milk inspector came to the farm and looked at the wattage on the bulbs.  He told the farmer he had to replace all those 60 watt bulbs with 100 watt bulbs to meet the necessary lighting standard.  The farmer I worked for was less than happy and decided to take action.  he had me remove every light bulb in the barn and use a scrub pad to remove the wattage printed on the bulbs before he was re-inspected.  FWIW, he passed the second inspection.

The farm next to mine was owned by the son of the gentleman I purchased my farm from.  i was in his barn one day helping him load pigs one day.  He turned the lights on and only half of them came on.  I asked if half the bulbs were burned out.  He said they were OK and proceeded to turn on the other half of the lights.  He had been visited by the milk inspector who told him his lighting was not up to snuff.  He installed the additional bulbs but wired them to a separate switch.  He said one day the milk inspector showed up unannounced and he had only half the lights on.  The inspector started to comment and Al, who had fortunately been standing near the switch, flicked the second set of lights on and played dumb.  I never found out if the inspector realized what had happened and overlooked it or if he was really clueless. 

Nice work detailing the barn interior.  I agree with your comment regarding how much interior detail is warranted when not all can be seen.  I think you may have gone above and beyond, but the lighting shows off much of what you did.  Have you ever considered mounting a photo of the interior on the fascia?

Jerry

Thank you for your contributions to this project and for the encouraging words.  I like the idea of adding a photograph of the interior on the fascia - this build is right at eye level and close to the aisle so I'm hoping everything will be visible - we will see. I'm building the interior beams for the barn now - I'll update the thread with pictures this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some final changes to the baseboard for the Whispering Falls build, including digging a pond, before sending it to the paint booth for a coat of black paint.  The paint is just to keep the white from showing through when I add the scenery materials.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the Whispering Falls baseboard after painting with the black  paint.  I will hide any white that you see with acrylic brush on paint before starting the scenery.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is a picture of the four main barn walls before I removed them from the template. I usually put the template under a glass plate but in this case I built right on the template because I knew any paper that remained on the walls from the template was going to be covered by the barn siding.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I decided to stop at this point and assemble the four main walls.  The next step is to build the 5 interior walls over the bottom left template.  The updated templates that Dario sent me show that the dimensions are correct for this template but the drawing is out of scale.  You can see the lines I drew to represent the scale drawing. I decided to make my own template to scale before proceeding with construction of the interior walls.

The pictures below show the original template drawings and the update with changes in red.

You can see that I had removed the walls from the upper templates when I took this picture.

This is the change sheet.  Engineering changes - I dealt with them my entire working carrier - the changes are in red.

I'm finding the drawings and instructions (including changes) to be very easy to follow and very professional done.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

So the barn is going up: Step one get the first wall in place and clamped. Level ? check

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Wall three and four. Fit and are right where they need to be with respect to the barn floor.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

All the measurements complete - clamps in place for the glue to dry. No #11 blade, or sanding block work required.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step was to check the dimensions for the inner walls before I redraw the template. Dario has 3 and 27/32 for the overall dimension. Basically what has to fit inside the outer barn walls.

John Siekirk