nycjeff layout

Started by nycjeff, August 06, 2020, 04:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Great looking layout photos. I especially like the modified ice facility.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

As promised a couple of pictures of my track plans. I prepared these before starting the benchwork. They are done to scale and I used these all along the construction process. I made very few adjustments to the original track plans. I don't know if that means that I planned well or if I'm stubborn.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Hey Curt, thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed putting that scene together. It's by far the largest scene on my layout, over 4 feet long and about 14 inches deep. If and when I ever start operations on my layout, I will be able to put an entire train into that area for re-icing. I model the late 1940's and that was before mechanical reefers and cars needed to be re-iced every 24 hours. Trains coming from Florida and California heading to New York City would pass through central Ohio. At least that's my story. I had to buy the last couple of icing platforms on e-bay and I learned the hard way how the auctions work. You have to put your last bid in just before the deadline. I learned that the hard way, after several unsuccessful tries. Oh well, live and learn.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Yesterday I tried to continue my layout thread with a new section on track ballasting and I had all kinds of problems. I mislabeled the post as a new thread and when I tried to move it into my layout thread it somehow ended up in the Baggage Car Daily Chat section. Today I will continue the track ballast section in it's proper place in my layout thread, I hope.

On the left is my finish ballast material. It is a mix of woodland scenics fine ballast and Az Rock and Mineral NYC limestone ballast.

I spread the finish ballast material between the rails with a spoon.

I then use a 3/4 inch soft bristle brush to spread the material so that the tops of the ties are showing. While doing this, some material spreads onto the sides and I also brush the tops of the ties here. It usually takes about 4 or 5 passes with the brush to get the effect that I want

This is what the track looks like after brushing

Another view after brushing, I couldn't get this one to rotate, sorry. That's it for now, more later
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

PRR Modeler

Great looking Ballast and track ballasting.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

Thank you Curt for the kind words. It's been a while since I've added to the thread so I'll attempt to get caught up.

After the ballast material is smoothed out with the brush, I spread some scenic materials between the tracks using tree foliage.

This photo shows the tree foliage that I use between the tracks as well as the bottles for wetting the area and glueing everything down. I think the tree foliage is from Scenic Express.

The spray bottle on the left is my wetting agent- it is half 70% isopropyl alcohol and half water, I wet everything down until it is good and soaked. The bottle on the right is my glueing agent- it is 1/4 mod podge and 3/4 water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent.

It's a little hard to see, but I've spread the glueing agent down on the track and ballast and scenic materials.

While the glueing agent is still wet I spread some fine turf soil, which is black, over the area to tone down the color. That's it for now, more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

tct855

ACL 1504,
               Damn, what a fine lookin' award!, that you well deserve!
                                                                                                  KP-out...

tct855

Jeff,
        Nice looking layout!  Excellent modeling!  Holy Cow, what straight fine trackwork! I like all the modeling and potential operations on your very cool layout!  Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see this empire continue to grow!
                                                   Thanx Thom...

nycjeff

Thank you Thom for the nice words. I haven't done any operating on my layout, but I did design it with operation in mind at some time down the road.

As a final step when ballasting, I brush on my AI solution on the ties between the track. This gives a used appearance and I think adds some realism.

A view of the track after adding the AI solution. It doesn't show up to well in pictures, but on the layout it is more noticeable.

Another view of the completed track ballast process. I didn't paint my track before installation, but after seeing pictures of painted track on the forum I am considering doing it. I guess my options are to use a fine brush and some rust colored paint or to use the track coloring markers that I've seen online. Can anyone give me some feed back on which method yields a better result ? I will over time add more scenic layers to my track areas along with trackside signs, mile markers and the like. As we all well know a layout is never finished. That's it for now. more later
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

deemery

I'd suggest just painting the rails, and don't worry about the ties.  I like the largest size of "micro-brush" disposable brushes, they work well to get into the web of the rail.  For this task, a solvent paint would work better than an acrylic.  (Scalecoat has a nice Rail Brown, just be sure to order it in matte finish.  Shiny rust just doesn't look right  :) )

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

I agree with Dave. I would also paint the rails. I usualy do my ties with Earth and black A&I.

Karl

nycjeff

Thank you Dave and Karl for your input, I think that I will paint the rails. I'll let you know how it turns out.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

jbvb

If you use a solvent-based paint like Scalecoat or Tru-Color, you can clean up (or clean mistakes off the rail head) with lacquer thinner from the hardware store.
James

deemery

I like little blocks of hardboard/Masonite or scraps of plywood from FastTracks to help scrape off paint from the railheads.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Jeff, Very impressive job...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)