FSM JS16 Jamestown Water Stop

Started by NEMMRRC, February 16, 2014, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

DEFugere

NEMMRRC

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I opted to include interior lighting on the main structure. In order to do so I had to deviate from the kit's instructions a wee bit. I will show what I have done in preparation to get the roofs ready so as to accommodate the lighting.

The water tank rests on a platform of timbers. The modeler is to stain the precut stripwood representing the timbers and glue it to the shed under the water tank.

Then there is the roof for the pump house. This will be covered with corrugated roofing later.

Here you get a head-on look of the affair.

The right side of the roof is not even. That is because there is a timber under that corner and one is to trim the timber to allow for the slope of the pump house roof.

And here is a look from the water tank's end. There will be a lighted lamp above that door on the end.

And here is a look that shows the size of the diorama.

It is not a very large diorama.

Jaime

Bntrainmaster

nvrr49

Well done indeed.  I guess I better get started on my entry. :D

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

NEMMRRC

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to post an update tonight. I see the contest chief is cracking the whip and I don't want to be sent to the corner without supper.

Later.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

I proceeded with the tower that goes on top of the pump house. Apparently a well was dug at this location and the well's tower was left in place and the pump house built around it.

The tower sticks up through the roof of the pump house. Part of the tower is above the pump house and part inside the pump house. I will only show how I built the part above the pump house even though I built both parts.

All of this gets built from stained stripwood on top of a template. I've learned that if there will be multiples of something built for the kit it helps a great deal to use a jig of some sort. I used scrap stripwood to "trap" the stained stripwood used to build the tower. This made it easier for the stained stripwood to line up properly and stay in place.

The uprights.

The cross bracing.

The diagonal bracing.

Note the cleats that raise up the second diagonals.

The uprights are turned on their side to apply the remainder of the bracing.

Ta-da!

A ladder is built as well to prop up against the tower.

And here is how it will all end up once the roof and water tank are finished.

Jaime

Jerry

Jaime nice job.  Your work is very precise and nice coloring.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Janbouli

Looks great Jaime , I'll follow this build on this forum, especially since they seem to have solved the image problem.
I love photo's, don't we all.

DEFugere

Jaime, your progress is outstanding and you work full time. You know you put this old retired guy to shame. Bravo!

David

Dave K.

Great thread, Jaime. Dio's gonna be a beaut.

NEMMRRC

Thanks for the feedback. I only wish I had more free time to update more often. I've been working way too much at the office. Anyway, moving on.

Now that there is a platform ready for the water tank, I can start building the water tank. Already you've seen the cardboard tube that serves as the former for the water tank. To this tube one glues stripwood to represent the staves.

First one draws vertical lines on the cardboard tube to help guide the staves along. It helps to work on a flat surface so I worked on a piece of glass I keep just for that purpose.

And here you see all the staves all stained with alcohol and India Ink stain. Also, I've glued the first stave to the tank and used a square to make sure it was straight.

I glued a few staves at a time and made sure they were on straight. I then clamped the staves until the glue set.

I repeated the stave gluing, truing and clamping until I got the whole water tank wrapped. It took me all evening to do this. I wanted to make sure I did it right.

For my kit, the provided supply of staves was exactly how many staves I needed to wrap the water tank. As a matter of fact, when I got to the last stave the space for it on the water tank was exactly the width of the stave. My last stave fit in perfectly.

Here is how the water tank looks on top of its platform.

Next one is to wrap one band at the bottom and one at the top of the water tank. These bands are cut out from a cardstock template and then painted Earth. I clamped a metal rule to the template and workbench to help me cut the bands straight. When the painted bands are dry one is to wrap the bands around the water tank.

The tank is not finished yet. Later in the instructions one is to weather the tank and apply the hoops that secure the staves.

Jaime

Jerry

Dave K.