Jukes Boat Livery. --- a Clever card model

Started by DEFugere, February 19, 2014, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Looking good. 

Al D, tried to check out your facebook page, but could not. What I am I doing wrong?  Nothing it says the same for me not available

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

DEFugere

Before attaching the center seat pinch the bow together. The directions call for masking tape, the type that will not remove the ink from the printed boat, I'm guessing blue painters tape. I used my homemade clothspin clamp. Apply smal amount of Aileens Tacky to the bow before clamping, apply small amounts to the  enter seat ends and put in position. This should slightly spread the center of the boat.

DEFugere

The whole assembly can now be put aside to dry, go make some chili using ReadingBob's great directions or make some baked chicken wings.

ReadingBob

That's really cool looking Dave.  I've seen the Clever models stuff at the Expo on Randy and Sue's module.  I think it took me two or three passes before I realized they were cardstock models. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Dave.....looks good.

I'll be watching to see how this one comes out.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

DEFugere

Bob and Greg, good to see you checking my progress. If you have time and would like Thom has the boats for free download at their site, you may need one or two somewhere on a layout or diorama.

Next up is attaching the bow seat.

DEFugere

After the decking is scored, folded over on itself and glued it gets attached to the bottom of the above assembly. Small drops of Aileens Tacky and when dry a few drops of ACC.

DEFugere

Waiting for the top of the boat to dry to the boat decking gives me time to cut out the two wall side. Cut out the printed window from the side and cut the new window oversize. This oversize window allows it be glued to the back of the wall. This step creates some depth for the window. Same step with the top of the double hung and the window frame.

DEFugere

Say it isn't so but sometimes I make a mistake!!! To correct errors I use colored pencils, water color pencils and even a plain draftsman layout pencil.

DEFugere

Next up is cutting the stiffeners for the building and getting the roof to fit. I needed to start transferring my sketch into three dimensions. I plan to use some scrap ply and white styrofoam from some old package. Let's not waste anything . My inspiration comes from a hands on building clinic Dave Frary did for this past expo. I didn't attend but he posted some interesting pictures on KitForums.

I've also started two oyster boats which somehow hope to incorporate into. The mini scène

David

clevermod01

Dave, I'm enjoying watching and biting my nails. Every time some one posts a build for the public to watch, I wonder what could i have done to make it easier/better. Thanks for taking it on.

Thom
Thom at Clever models llc

DEFugere

Thom, this is a fun build. I wish I were smart enough to critic kits but alas it is beyond my pay grade. :-))

You guys do a wonderful job with all your kits, carry on!

Have spent some time on the base. I am using some recycled 1/4" ply, throw away white packing styrofoam and a few inches of precast wall by Chooch. This wall has been on all my layouts to date. First I ripped it to width on a Dremel table saw, sanded angles using a yard sale find table top disc sander then glued the foam down using Ace brand tube adhesive. Next up rattle can gray primer for the walls.

DEFugere

I cut the interior supports and roof signs from the larger sheet of parts. Thought the supports needed to be two layers of card stock thick. Using Aileen's tacky I glued some gray stock to the white the pieces were printed on.

The four edges of the supports need to be scored for bending first. A straight edge and my snap off cutting knife work fine for this operation. One pass with light pressure should work, you can get used to the difference in sound between a cut and score.

Next cut the supports clean out using a straight edge but the corners where the tabs bend can be cut free hand.

DEFugere

The tab cutting and folding the tabs. The red dots get glued to the walls.

DEFugere

I'll try to post more later tonight, this site is extremely frustrateing , when I leave for one minute to tweak a picture it makes me sign back in.