Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I decided I wanted to change the look of the church steeple. I want a more Southern Baptist Church look. The angled roof portions on top part of the steeple don't fit that look.

The four angled pieces are nine boards high. If I remove the nine boards, the steeple is that much shorter. If I remove the angled sections, and add a nine board extension it will remain the same height. This would be the hardest of the two options.

Angled steeple sections.

Here is a view of the angled sections over a nine board extension.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I wanted the same steeple height so I chose the harder of the two options.

I marked the top straight portion and then removed the nine upper boards. It's good to keep some scrap wood around for just this purpose.

I measured thrice and cut once.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The next piece is a small wall portion of the steeple. I didn't want it mixed up with the others so I marked it "S" for steeple.

I then removed the upper nine boards.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Each new additional upper wall piece was cut and lightly sanded to fit each steeple wall section.

Prior to gluing them together, I marked each one to correspond with the section it was cut and sanded to fit.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I found my additional/scrap walls were just slightly different. One was Kappler and the others are Northeastern Lumber.

No worries, I pressed the three wall sections against a thick metal ruler and then used and new #11 blade and smaller metal ruler and trimmed them at the top.

Nest comes the bracing of the walls.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Raymo

Tom, glad to see your bringing some religion to the folks on the A&S. By the sound of some of the Judge's Saturday Reports, they could use it!  ;D

S&S RR

Tom

Looking good so far, I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 08, 2020, 08:42:27 PM
You do great modeling Tom.

Curt,

Thank you. A check may be in the mail but don't look for it. :P

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on September 08, 2020, 09:02:38 PM
Tom, glad to see your bringing some religion to the folks on the A&S. By the sound of some of the Judge's Saturday Reports, they could use it!  ;D

Dan,

Yes, those Tahope folks sure can use some old time religion. Appreciate you stopping by for a comment.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 09, 2020, 07:23:39 AM
Tom

Looking good so far, I will be following along.

John,

Thanks very much, appreciate the following.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

There is a small rear addition on the back of the chapel. This won't show where I plan on using the chapel so I won't be taking the time to add it.

However, the rear wall is cut so the addition side walls fit into the rear. If I decide to light the chapel, I don't want any light coming out of these openings.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I measured the width of the opening as an HO scale of 5". Of course, I only have scale 4Xs and 6Xs.

I took a piece of 6X6 and used a heavy duty sanding stick to sand off a scale 1 inch.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com