Overhead Trolley Work Motor Project

Started by bparrish, February 15, 2019, 01:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Good thing you didn't want to make a fleet of these and run them together.  I have some working HO scale link and pin coupler sets, and that pin is tiiiiiny.  Looks like a belaying pin.  About the size of a code 100 spike.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

Bob....

My guess is that what you have are some Alexander Models link and pin sets.  I too have a bunch of these.

Problem is that they scale too large.

I used them in an 1850's model of a merchandise box car in an entry in the 2000 national convention in San Jose California. I finished third in the competition as I was being evaluated by a judge who had no idea what a mid 19th century freight car might look like.  He was not interested in such early modeling and had no interest in anyone who might.

I took a beating in that judging as an evaluator from St Louis had no idea what he was evaluating and should have never been allowed to be an evaluator.  He counted them as scaled too large and scored me near zero in a major category rather than acknowledge my attempt to model something that he had no idea what he was considering.    This is an example of judges who should not be allowed to be judges.
There are times when the detractors of AP evaluations might be right.   

Fortunately ............. a guy named Bob Hamm came in and attempted to pull back the national contest judging to what it should be.   A testimony to what good modeling might be.   I am forever grateful for people such as him for taking back the national contest from the people who tried to say. "I'm here now and I'll make it tougher on who ever might follow me".

People of this sort of thinking are why the NMRA takes a beating.  Curiously..... he is / was a former president of the NMRA.......................... thankfully...  we have come through such dark ages and are now driven by people who understand that what this is about is making better modelers.

Thanx for looking in
Bob

I am happy to be a part of that new thinking.
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Oldguy

The Alexanders had the belaying pin looking pins and yes, they look way out of scale for HO.  Luckily I only have 1 package.  The ones I was thinking of was the NWSL units. And they do use what look like code 100 spikes as pins.
And I too was glad to see the improvement in NMRA judging.  I fought long and hard to get a more standardized format.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

So I have been away for a time........ some travel and two trips to the hospital.  My latest bed and breakfast.

I finally got some bench time and got the power truck built and assembled.

This is the most compact drive unit I have ever built.  It is a NWSL Stanton drive and a Digitrax 126 decoder.  It doesn't pick up current any better than what you would expect for a four wheel truck but it does move.  The photos include the assembly into the frame and the added deck.  More later.

bparrish

I got the superstructure on tonight.  The decoder is under the floor.  As there were no lights on this work motor it was pretty easy.

So now I clean up paint....  add windows and detail stuff.

Otta have it ready for the NMRA national in July.

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Glad to see you're back at it, Bob.

Jeff

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

Good to be back.

Two trips to the hospital really cuts into the bench time.

Looks like the Monday night boys are coming tomorrow for an operations session. Always fun. 

I got the glass cut for the windows and they should go in tomorrow. 

See ya
Bob

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Bob

Your modeling is looking great!  It's great to see you back here.  I hope all is well with your health.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

I'm following along and it looks just grat so far.

Karl

bparrish

Crunch time ! ! !

Gotta get serious about this now.  I cannot go to the national NMRA convention in Salt Lake.  Doctors scheduled a heart valve replacement right on top of it.  It seems sort of important so I had to cancel.  I don't want any guff about priorities ! ! ! !

A good friend it taking it there for me.

So here are some of the interior shots.  There is a ton of fine painting stuff yet to go.  The glass is in and the doors operate.  The work bench is a bunch of different castings and the vise is carved out of a chunk of white metal with an x-acto blade.

I couldn't resist making up a crate of glass insulators.