Overhead Trolley Work Motor Project

Started by bparrish, February 15, 2019, 01:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Perfect as always.

Great work Norm I mean Bob!!  :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

NKP768

Great looking work Bob, what thickness of scribed siding are you using for the car sides - are these laminated or one thickness?

Thanks,
Doug

bparrish

Doug....

Great question.  This is some scale siding that I get from Northeastern.  It comes in sheets of 3" by 24" (I think on the width),  It is nothing out of the ordinary. Their standard stock. They are very fast at filling individual orders.

It is not a micro ply.  The material is .062" which is 1/16th" in fractional.    That scales out at something just over 5" in HO.  That is not overly fat when considering being able to be handled during construction and the finished model.

Recall that wood in those years was true dimension and not the planed down dimensions where we are paying for what THEY started with, rather than what we are getting.  Pardon my frustration with the lumber industry.

I have no way of seeing into the photos for the interior but if it was sheathed on both inside and outside five inches is still pretty close with one inch sheathing.

To finish the interior I will pre color with aniline dye and then stiffen it with super glue.  It has to be in that order. Then I will dry brush some mucky green that seems to pervade all caboose decor.  That otta get enough of a grunge appearance to suit me.

Thanx for looking in.
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

NKP768

bparrish

I had no idea that I would need most of the day to get the window mullions and door casings done.  They are all fitted pieces of various shape stocks and flat wood.  The glue set times are a real pain in the wheels of progress.  I cannot trust super glue.  It creeps and once kicked it is SOOOO hard to clean up after. 

With the yellow glue only a short wait and when the glue goes into a doughy stage it can be cleaned off and the put aside for a while.

The headers are left long for now as they wrap over the side boards.  Just going by the photos.

More later

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Bruce Oberleitner

Hey Bob,
Do you think that you will have this project far enough along to have it running next month at our local NMRA meet?

bparrish

Bruce ..... 

Yes but only a maybe.   I wii not be able to run it on my trolley module that I routinely bring to the meet. Recall that the module is common rail and power from the overhead wire. I'm making up to run on two rail for the National.  I don't want wires to the roof when I'll try to show it roof off to show the interior.  I may after that reside it to pole power.  I don't have space to make it run on both. 

Thanx
Bob

Bruce Oberleitner

Hey Bob,
It was great to have lunch with you today at the Mini Meet.  Remind me not to eat the pepperoni pizza next time.

Well since the trolley will not run on the modular layout, maybe you will have to build a small 2'x4' layout to run it on.  Of course that's an after national project.

bparrish

So remind me again why I don't like Norm Abrams ! ! ! !

Here is a photo of the first try at the scaffolding.  It's close but not right.  It is out of square by about .010".

Next option ........ make a jig to hold it where it needs to be.  I cut a block of wood that is the size of the interior of the scaffolding.  The corners are L stock from Northeastern and cut long to shape later.   A rubber band holds in all there.   The pencil lines are square to the block so I only have to follow the lines to make it even all the way around.   The half lapping allows me to keep going.  Once painted the lapped ends will not show.

I should be able to take this off of the form block in about another hour.  Then I need to figure out how to jig up the sliding piece that goes inside.

More later

bparrish

The glue dried and now............. drum roll please ........... will it come off the jig? ? ?

I relieved the corners with a knife so as soon as it moves it lets go and flops off.

So it worked ! ! ! !

The legs are not cut yet as I need to get the elevator part of this done and then I can locate it on the roof and shape the legs to the pitch of the roof.  But for now............

More later
Thanx for looking in

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

bparrish

bparrish

To work on the elevator..............  Yes ! ! !  I think I can make this operate.

From the photos it appears that the deck of the scaffolding was able to be moved (elevated) to put workers at some height that was suitable.  There clearly is a hand wheel over the trolley pole springs and you can see a chain leading to something below.  Surely a mechanical elevator with some sort of latching mechanism.  Unfortunately there are no better photos and I have not located a car company that had any out shop photos of such equipment. 

I think in the main the superstructures were built by some company and suitable to be put on some derrilict trolley frame that one or another company had laying around.  Four wheeled trolleys were very unpopular as they rode rough and companies quickly took them out of service in trade for twin truck, eight wheel equipment.

As this elevator is to be on the inside of the structure shown above, the various framing boards need to be on the inside of the L shape corner pieces.  Thus I cannot wrap this around a jig as I did previously.

Bring on the blue tape ! ! !!

I laid this out with a caliper to set the spacing to clear the outer scaffolding by about .030",  this ought to give it enough clearance to move freely.

This then will be cut in half and make two of the four sides.

Should be done today.
More later

bparrish

It's a good day at the bench ! ! !

Got the scaffolding and elevator done.   Here is the operating mechanism for the elevator. I had all these ideas for how to run chains or thread and wind it around the wheel shaft.  Then I got to thinking about all the cool animations stuff the Fisher Price does for children's toys.  They are monuments of simplicity.  Then it came to me.....

Here is the elevator in the scaffold in the lower position.

And then raised.  It moves a scale two feet plus a bit.  That's enough..    It's brew-ski time ! ! ! !

I'll find you all tomorrow.............  I flamed out