2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: madharry on March 17, 2020, 06:53:26 PM
Greg,
What happened to Gregspeed.......................
Nice so far............
Mike

Greg Speed for modeling got lost in the 6 years I've been absent from building.....not in running a steamer down on Tom's layout.  ;)

I've started off with easier kits and will have to build up the ole' skills before I take on any of the great kits I have in the stash. The plan is to increase the degree of difficulty a bit with each kit.

I've been looking at the FSM kits that I have and have tentatively selected one of the moldy oldies as the next victim on the road back.

Stay tuned.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

Walls are looking just great so far. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

GPdemayo

Thanks Karl.....I should have a bit more done to post soon.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hello again.

This installment is about the bracing and blocking I used to get the assembly ready to mount against the rear wall of the main building.

In the photo below, all the bracing is glued and the glue blocking is added to the rear of the addition to aid in attaching it to the main structure.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-047)

The next 3 photos show the sides and back wall of the addition. The wood is prepped and ready for painting. After painting, the door and window will be glued in place, but that will be another day.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-049)

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-051)

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-052)

The final photo is of the assembly sitting in position against the back wall of the main building.

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-053)

I'm not sure about the scale of the addition in relation to the main building. The main building is 18' from slab to the top of plate of the second floor. This is reasonable for two floors of 9' +/- and floor joists and flooring of 12" +/-. The height of the addition, slab to the top plate, is 12'-9".

With walls that high, they appear to be a bit exaggerated and not in scale with the main building. I wish I had caught this before everything was glued together.

I'll have to look at it some more before I decide on using the addition or leave it off. And thoughts?

See y'all next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

I vote to attach it to the main building.  The height may not make "logical" sense, but the viewer does not know why it was constructed this way.  Did it originally house an over height (more than 8' tall machine)?  Was it a boiler house that had height added to make piping access easier?   Is part of the floor elevated? 

At one of the early Craftsman Structure shows I attended a Brian Nolan clinic on diorama composition.  One of the things I learned was that a rectangular two (or more) story building, while prototypic does not draw the viewer's eye into the scene well.  The use of single story additions brings the viewer's eye down from the tall roof to the ground and then to the details of the scene.  With that in mind, maybe you could add an elevated fuel oil tank by the end of the addition.  Add some barrels and crates and the viewer is now entranced with the overall scene.

Just my two cents and maybe not worth even that... ;D
Jerry

GPdemayo

You make a good point Jerry.....when I chatted with Pegi about this, she agreed with what you wrote and said  that I am looking at from the logical point of view of a builder, not from the way a scene should be viewed as a composition for others to look at.

Basically, she said to lighten up and not be such a stiff.....it's just a model and the point of any hobby is to relax and have fun.   :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hello again.

As y'all know by now, I am not satisfied with using rolled felt as a roof covering for the structures I build that are to represent a more permanent business or residence. This installment is about the standing seam metal roofing that I chose for the roof covering on this structure.

My assumption was that when this building was built, the owners wanted and could afford a more substantial material than shingles or corrugated metal roof covering. They wanted a good looking standing seam roof, but couldn't justify copper or stainless steel, so they chose a more reasonable painted steel sheet metal to use for the roofing.

For the time frame that this building was supposedly built (late 30's / 40's), the usual dimensions for this type of metal roofing system was usually 10' or 12' long x 2' wide panels. Today panels can be produced at any length thereby eliminating the laps in the field between the eave and the ridge.

The panels were attached thru the underlayment (usually 30# felt) to the roof sheathing and was locked together at the standing seam. The photo below shows the first course at 10' and a second course up to the ridge cut to about 6' - rear elevation, front elevation & cupola.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-057)

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-059)

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-063)

Next up is to add the flashing. The ridge pieces covers the gap that is formed along the ridge line and must be capped to prevent water intrusion. The standard face of each side of the ridge flashing in real 1:1 buildings is about 6". I think it is to bit narrow in HO scale so I added an inch or so to each face for a better visual. I cut the sheet metal stock into 10' lenghts and put it on a baby brake, I got from MicroMart, to bend it to an angle to match the roof pitch.

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-065)

I then cut pieces for the angle flashing for where the lower roof meets the vertical wood building wall and the angle and ell pieces to fit around the bottom and sides of the cupola.

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-068)

It finished up the flashing with the cap flashing at the ridge of the cupola roof.

Exhibit #6 - (ADL-070)

As you might have noticed, I did not add the flashing at the eaves or the rakes at the gable ends. The flashing I did was enough of a pain and the eave and rake flashing, with it's narrow face, would have been a giant pain.   

Standing seam metal roofing has been around for centuries. In the early years the material usually used was lead or copper. By the late 1800's they started using steel and in the 1900's aluminum. The steel was galvanized to help resist rust (the galvanization process can be seen in the shiny silver surface when it is new) and before WWII, they began offering it in a few basic colors.....white, red, green, etc.

I'll get the roofing painted and post more pictures.

See y'all next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

the roof looks great so far. Can't wait to see what you do with it color wise.

Karl

Opa George

Hi Greg,
Just catching up with this thread after more than a few days.  You've made nice progress and it looks good. I followed with interest your musings about the addition dimensions. Now that you have it on, it looks good and it visually fits. A smaller addition would not have added the same degree of visual interest.

Nice job on the roof, as well.  I've always liked that style. Very neat job.
--Opa George

Lynnb

Looks good Greg, I would have struggled with the capping.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

PRR Modeler

The roofing looks great Greg. Is the ridge cap wood or metal?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Thanks for looking in Karl.....I should have some pictures by this weekend. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hey George.....appreciate you looking in and the kind words. I'll glue the addition on after I get the roof painted later this week. The size still bothers me, but after all that work, it will go on.  :) 
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Today's episode is dedicated to the newest adventure around these parts - the use of the air brush.

I received an Iwata Eclipse air brush and compressor for a friend who was into N scale, but couldn't continue because of tremors he had developed in recent years. Not long before he decided he couldn't continue in the hobby, he had purchased this rather nice air brush and only got to use it a few times.

When he passed it onto me, I brought it home poured some paint and thinner into a bottle and proceeded to try it out on a piece of cardboard. It worked fine, me.....not so much. I cleaned it up, lubricated it and put it back in it's box....this was back in 2010 or so.

Big disclaimer.....this was the first and only time I have ever used an air brush.....till this Thursday.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-075)

I decided that the metal roofing on this building should get a paint job, but that applying the paint with a brush would probably not be a good idea. But thru luck and the kindness of friends, I remembered that I was the proud owner and so far, incompetent user of an air brush. I also remembered that I have a friend that is an air brush guru and master painter of all things steam.....and has miles of patience when it comes to helping a friend in need.

So off to Tom's on Thursday with metal roofing in hand for a private tutoring session. Everything was going so well, the drive down, the air elbow bumps (to keep out of trouble from the virus police), the tutorial on the care and use of the air brush and a short demonstration. Then, since all good things must come to an end, he handed me the air brush.

Well, I'm here to complain that those bottles that hold the paint under the brush are very poorly deigned.....they have a hole in the top and if you tip them to far down, the paint comes out of the hole.....who knew.....bad design, needs fixing. As you might have guessed, there was paint all over me, Tom's pavers and his air brush. Seems I was concentrating on the metal roof and not paying any attention to the fact that I was bending over to the point that that bad design bit me on the butt.

Oh boy! No defense here, but an amazing reaction.....Tom didn't stroke out, blow a gasket or cry. He got that grin of his (which you aren't sure means he is being kind dealing with a klutz or he is going to pull out a gun and put me out of his misery), grabbed a rag and the acetone and calmely commented that he should have given
me a few other pointers.

We got everything cleaned up and he firmly demonstrated proper techsniques to prevent any future disasters and we got the rest of the roof completed, as seen below.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-071)

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-072)

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-073)

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-074)

After enjoying a few minutes of chatting about our misspent youths, I headed home for some additional practice.

This went well until the slot in the brush where that poorly designed bottle fits decided to get clogged. Enough messes for one day.....clean the brush and get back to work. I definitely need a bit more practice, but I can see a small bit of improvement.....this will take a bit of getting used to, but I can see the benefits of using this over hand brushing on some of the bigger structures in my stash.

More next time.....and a BIG "THANKS TOM".....your patience and help are, as always, greatly appreciated.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

The roofs look really great on the structure. We certainly had fun yesterday. Once you get a little more practice, you'll use the air brush much more.

And, you are very welcome. I was happy to help. What else would we be doing on our Corona Vacation.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com