Master Creations Watt-Moreland Waxworks

Started by Opa George, March 30, 2020, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

George hard keeping up with all these builds but I finally got to this one.

Beautiful build and love the coloring your doing.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Thanks very much, Jerry and Lynn.

Yesterday and today I've been working on more terrain features, and with some of that in place was able to add the woodshed, cellar door and some more details to the main building.  I also got my junk piles in, but decided I needed something small to fill the space between the bottom of the driveway and the barn.  I found a Railroad Kits Dannen Feeds was about the right size.

The small additional structure represents the first home of the Olde Headde Automaton shop that, with the success of its mechanical men, moved production into the abandoned textile mill that overlooks the falls. Now it is used by the current owner of the waxworks for storage, although local folks think something more nefarious may be going on in there at night.

Overshot of the Waxworks complex.  Grass, weeds and trees need to go in, after some more detail work. I have to work the Automaton workshop into the terrain--it is hanging in air on three sides.

Waxworks front.

Another overhead shot. The narrow gauge track will connect to the line that runs over the swamp in the Bandits Roost lowlands.

Waxworks barn workshop.

Looking downhill from the barn toward the end of the Waxworks driveway, and into my workshop.

Waxworks office--the vantage point from which the Waxworks owner watches for unwanted visitors.

So lots to do.  The module is not fixed in place on my layout yet.  Once it is, I can add the terrain that connects it to the Ragged Edge inlet. Then things will really start to come together on this end of the layout.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just great and I also like that barn. Is that A kit or scratch? Also like the iron Gate across the track.

Karl

Opa George

Quote from: postalkarl on April 21, 2020, 08:23:56 AM
Hey George:

Looks just great and I also like that barn. Is that A kit or scratch? Also like the iron Gate across the track.

Karl

Thanks, Karl. The barn is part of this same kit, as is an outhouse--so three buildings in one kit.  I built the barn first, per the instruction book, but did not post pics as I wasn't sure at that point I wanted to do a build thread. The roof louvers were the trickiest part. Also, the kit includes enough separately applied battens to cover each vertical joint between boards on the barn walls.  I did not use them for two reasons:  I did not like the look of the finished barn with the battens on (found a few pics on the web), and secondly I really liked the airy, see-through look of the walls. Without the battens, it reminded me of a lot of really old barns around my neck of the woods.

Thanks much for the compliments.  I agree, the gate across the spur track is a key interest point on this kit.

--Opa George

Opa George

Thanks very much for the comments.  At this point, the module is ready to be attached to my layout.  I need to start the surrounding scenery that attaches it to the rest of the landscape.

I added trees, bushes, more detail castings, and lots of etc.  There is still more to do--there is ALWAYS more to do, that's the fun part--but aside from adding the finial castings, it is mostly done. I plan to add some piles of old wood and boards here and there, and debris under the trestle.  I'm holding the rather large, bare earth area between the house and the barn for...not sure yet.  In a month something ideal will suggest itself.  Also planning for some small sheds between the edge of the orchard and the tracks.

Here are the pretty-much-done pictures. Some yellow wildflowers brighten the lower driveway entrance.

Another shot of the front.

Detail view of the junkyard and the old factory.

High shot of the driveway and the barn workshop area. The boys are getting ready to load some freight into the waiting truck.

Pulled back shot showing the foamboard frame to which retaining wall sections will be attached. Below (out of shot) is the Ragged Edge Boat Repair area. (Builders In Scale Tidewater Wharf buildings).

--Opa George

SteveCuster

Great job on a difficult kit George!

Karl, that barn is still made by Master Creations/BTS
http://www.master-creations.com/1420.htm
Steve Custer

Mark Dalrymple

Its a masterpiece, George!

Love the daffodils.

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

Holy Mackerel!  I never thought I'd see one of these completed.  Wunderbare!!!!  ;D  Great job on a not so easy to build kit.   ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dennis Bourey

Dido George, Beautiful job on the build....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Quote from: SteveCuster on April 21, 2020, 05:37:29 PM
Great job on a difficult kit George!

Karl, that barn is still made by Master Creations/BTS
http://www.master-creations.com/1420.htm

Thanks much, Steve.   I checked out that link and can verify it is the exact barn included with this kit. The laser-cut walls and laser cut interior framing make for a real showpiece and front-of-the-layout kit. The kit even includes the workbenches.  With the large windows and positioning of the doors wide open, you can show off a lot of interior detail.

I did not make the roof detachable, as suggested and provided for in the instructions, and my model sits a good three feet back from the layout edge. Even so, you can still see much of the interior.  A very nice kit.

--Opa George

vinceg

Excellent scene, George. Very rich with interesting detail. Great job.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

hairball

GEORGE stand up and take a bow, that is a beautiful finished structure.  Looks as good as the original advert if not better.

Anybody seeing these pictures of your build is probably going to jump on one of it ,  if it appears on ebay.  Same could be said for his other creations of that period.  The guy ?? who designed and produced these originally had a real vision for modeling.

Think he decided he wanted to be rich and went into housing development in Arizona ?  Our hobbies loss.

mike lynch....madmike3434 ....HAIRBALL