wslc reynolds camp cookhouse

Started by hairball, May 20, 2020, 07:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

here are a few pictures of a Thomas Yorke WSLC cookhouse , one of 4 examples I built .  This one was done using FLOQUIL FLO-STAIN wood colors on the board and baton siding.

I used paper bag cut into strips as the roofing.  Colored that with ROOF RED floquil .  Tar lapping lines were done with a really small brush.  Some staining to illustrate smoke was done with Bradgon weathering powder.

All the deck wood from northeastern lumber,   was done using Fiebings leather dye, USMC black and 99% pure rubbing alcohol.

The brass MOOSE rack on the wall was from Dave Braun at THE BACKSHOP , now owned by keith Wiseman.

mike lynch

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

tom.boyd.125

Mike,
Nice modeling. Like the colors you picked out.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

GPdemayo

I missed this build Mike.....great job..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

hairball

thank you all.

I think if I was to build #6 of this I would use a couple other floquil flo-stains I have acquired.   Waiting for HICKORY to be delivered and Naturel pine.

mike

Opa George

Mike,
A beautiful structure with exquisite detail.  The stained siding absolutely makes it.  This is my favorite build of yours that you have shown us.
--Opa George

hairball

Thanks guys, what I was trying to achieve was a structure built of scrap wood laying around a sawmill and pushed up the tracks to the site of a new cookhouse on WSLC property.

Think next time I build one of these I will use board on board , no batons, and make it look like fresh sawn lumber directly from the mill.

Might also be interesting to build one of these as abandoned with scorch marks from a fire and open the roof up to exposed rafters and burned shingles.

Things you think of when day dreaming.     This particular ***design**** I built was featured on the cover of o scale magazine of DON KLOSE Schenectady NY layout as a hunting lodge in the hills, it was faded green

mike lynch................HAIRBALL

WigWag Workshop

Outstanding build! I really like the color choices, and I appreciate you sharing your techniques and process with us.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!