Bar Mills Queen City Coal

Started by vinceg, May 19, 2020, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

GREAT job...that weathered stucco is awesome!

John

Zephyrus52246

Wonderful structure.  Great stucco and weathering.

Jeff

S&S RR

Vince

Fantastic thread - and great modeling.  I really like the weathered stucco, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

Beautiful job on the walls, stucco, exposed brick and all.  That can be a little tricky  but yours looks great.

--Opa George

vinceg

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement.

Thanks, Mark, for the new vocabulary! I had never heard of a scupper although I sort of guessed what it was from your post. I like the idea - nice detail. I will probably want to wait to see the final orientation of the buildings to make sure it will be seen.

What do people use for the down spouts? My first reaction was to just paint up some 14 gauge wire or something like that but round isn't very realistic. Strip styrene, maybe? Wouldn't have the ridges/fluting but in HO scale at a distance, maybe doesn't matter.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

vinceg

On with the crane. I cleaned off my work area and pulled out the related parts. Here's a pic, including the manual page that shows you what is there and how it is intended to be positioned next to the main office building:

Not a lot of parts -- hopefully not a complicated build. (Famous last words....the Homer water tower was also not a lot of parts and that was a pain.)

The sheet at the top of the picture with the six things that look a little like trestle bents holds the supports for a horizontal tank....fuel, I guess. That will go elsewhere in the diorama but I will build it here.
Vince

vinceg

Here is a picture from the photo booklet that comes with the kit:

Even though the gantry crane is a fairly simple structure they created an interesting scene with the scenery and details. That bulldozer is included with the kit. So are lots of piles of junk. Again, this is toward the back of the diorama so I will think hard about how much junk to use here where visibility will be somewhat low. The price you pay for an around-the-walls layout, I reckon.
Vince

vinceg

One note for anyone that cares -- if you're interested in this kit, there is one listed for sale on eBay right now. No, I don't have anything to do with it....I just happened to notice it as I go in there and poke around from time to time.
Vince

Opa George

Quote from: vinceg on June 16, 2020, 12:11:00 AM
What do people use for the down spouts? My first reaction was to just paint up some 14 gauge wire or something like that but round isn't very realistic. Strip styrene, maybe? Wouldn't have the ridges/fluting but in HO scale at a distance, maybe doesn't matter.

Hi Vince,
I have been using wire for downspouts and I think the effect looks good. I model the 1930s (ish) and smooth round downspouts were common I think.  Basing that note on old photos, but the forum will let me know if I am mistaken. Regardless, the wire downspouts add a nice detail.

Best regards,
--Opa George

NKP768

Nice job on the stucco Vince -
I have a kit in my stash that calls for stucco and I've never been a big fan of the Durhams water putty - the acrylic paint looks like the ticket. Great job on tying it all together with the weathering.
Doug

vinceg

Thanks, Doug. Yeah, the acrylics are pretty thick -- especially some older bottles. Stippling it on seems to make for a pretty decent effect. The task board base helped, though. If you're going to do it on smooth basswood, the effect might look different -- maybe even better. Please post some pics when you do that so that we can see how it works out. I also find the water putty thing to be a lot of work (the one time I used it) and easy to do wrong.
Vince

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

Good luck with the crane.

Karl

SteveCuster

Looks great so far Vince. I've never seen this kit before.
Steve Custer

ACL1504

Vince,

It all looks fantastic. Love the stucco on the walls.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Thank you Karl, Steve, and Tom. Steve, this kit was Bar Mills' annual super kit last December. I haven't seen any threads or mention of it anywhere, either.

OK, time to get caught up on the build thread.

More shortly.
Vince