First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

Started by WigWag Workshop, May 31, 2020, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

I airbrushed the walls with Antique White today.  Next step, I will be adding the sign, doing some highlights, and add some weathering.  Then, I will be moving on to the trim, windows and doors.

-Steven

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Looking very good so far, Steven.
--Opa George

ACL1504

Steven,

I agree with the others, great start and the walls look good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

The walls look just great.

Karl

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

I've never seen that brand of paint. What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks Karl

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: postalkarl on June 16, 2020, 05:00:42 PM
Hey Steven:

I've never seen that brand of paint. What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks Karl

Hi Karl,

It's BADGER Modelflex Railroad Airbrush Paint - Scenery and Structures Colors, I believe I purchased from Amazon.  Not sure if I really like them yet, I purchased a few years ago when I was working on my first "test" layout and have not used them much.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks,

Update on the build coming soon, I had a mishap painting the plastic windows and doors.  I tried brush painting, instead of airbrushing them, and I didn't like the result.  I tried to "clean" the parts, but the thin window dividers broke, and I couldn't get all the paint removed.  This should have been the easy part of the build, has I build many plastic scale model kits.  I ordered replacement parts from Tichy, and they just arrived. 

On a side note: I emailed Railroad Kits to ask them for part numbers, and Jimmy replied back in less than a 1/2 hour with the part numbers.  Now that is excellent Customer Service!

-Steven

Opa George

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on June 17, 2020, 08:01:42 AM

On a side note: I emailed Railroad Kits to ask them for part numbers, and Jimmy replied back in less than a 1/2 hour with the part numbers.  Now that is excellent Customer Service!

-Steven

That is my experience, too. Jimmy is a true gentleman craftsman supplier.

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

Thanks for the info on the paint.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on June 17, 2020, 08:01:42 AM
Hey Der Folks,

Update on the build coming soon, I had a mishap painting the plastic windows and doors.  I tried brush painting, instead of airbrushing them, and I didn't like the result.  I tried to "clean" the parts, but the thin window dividers broke, and I couldn't get all the paint removed.  This should have been the easy part of the build, has I build many plastic scale model kits.  I ordered replacement parts from Tichy, and they just arrived. 

-Steven

Steven,

I believe we've all broken a window mullion or two in the past. When I do, I just remove the other ones and make that window a single pane glass window. No rule that says you have to have the same ones that come with the kit. Just FYI  for future "mishaps".

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

Steven,

I believe we've all broken a window mullion or two in the past. When I do, I just remove the other ones and make that window a single pane glass window. No rule that says you have to have the same ones that come with the kit. Just FYI  for future "mishaps".

Tom ;D

That's a great idea! First thing I thought was to just pitch them into the circular file. But then, I thought I would save them to add to a "junk" pile on diorama.

-Steven