FSM #145 Coal Tower

Started by Opa George, June 27, 2020, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

George......

This is a great thread topic.  You have explained what you are doing and how you got it done.

This is what is best of this forum.  It is what I have tried to do the same on threads that I have have navigated.  Just the teacher in me ......

Thanx for a great thread and a super finish of a very cool model. 

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: bparrish on July 26, 2020, 08:42:45 PM
George......

This is a great thread topic.  You have explained what you are doing and how you got it done.

This is what is best of this forum.  It is what I have tried to do the same on threads that I have have navigated.  Just the teacher in me ......

Thanx for a great thread and a super finish of a very cool model. 

See ya
Bob

I agree Bob this is a great forum, and the builds are amazing, I get so much inspiration from them.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Opa George

Bob, Steven and Steve, thanks so much for following and for the supportive comments.  I am enjoying building this kit and happy to provide pictures of my progress.

Today I began rigging the chutes.  Since I previously drilled holes in all the parts, I was hopeful it would go pretty effortlessly.  I can say, after rigging one chute, it went well, but not without effort!

Below are eight of the ten ball weights with the thread "cable" attached.  I threaded each at the top and began by tying a double knot.  After two successes in about 20 minutes, decided that a single knot with a drop of ACC to hold it would be sufficient.  All are drying below, prior to using ACC to attach a length of chain at the bottom of each.

In cutting the chain to specifications, I was surprised to run considerably short of chain by about 5 inches.  I'm sure I did not waste any elsewhere.  Regardless, I substituted some chain I had in my parts box, although it is not as fine.

Rigging the chutes was pretty much as difficult as I imagined, although they did come out well.  Per George's instructions, you thread the loose end up behind the pulley and over the top, running it down to the end of the side of the chute, where you glue it in place.  Getting it up through the pulley required two sets of tweezers--one to feed it up through they pulley, and the other pair to grab it from where it poked up and pull it through.  That part was easier than getting the end into the hole at the end of the chute.  On each chute, I was successful in getting the first one through, and then securing it with a drop of ACC, but try as I might, was unsuccessful in threading the second one through at the chute end.  I ended up just placing a drop of ACC in the hole and holding the end of the thread against the hole with a toothpick until it set. In the end, this worked.

Below is a shot of the "back" side of the tower with both chutes rigged.  You can fairly easily spot the more course chain I had to substitute, but with some paint, I should be able to minimize it.  Also, this side will be less easily seen as it will not face the viewer.

Having spent quite a bit of time getting this side rigged, I decided to leave the front for tomorrow.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks, Curt!

Yesterday and today I hung the chutes on the front and worked more on the rigging and finishing details on the tower itself.  I had a little more trouble getting the front chutes successfully hung--it seemed the thread "cables" were not in a cooperative mood.  But being the more stubborn one in the operation, I finally won out and got them on.

Because they caused me so much trouble getting them in place, I decided to position them in a permanent attitude, rather then making them movable.  A few dots of glue at the pulleys accomplished that. Next came the additional rigging, which just took patience.  Again, I found ACC to be my glue of choice to help the thread "cable" grab the castings and wood.

Below are a few shots of the successfully rigged chutes:

You'll notice some of the cables have unnatural twists and turns, rather than hanging naturally.  I was able to eventually work most of that out.

I had avoided installing the work light shades until almost done because I knew I would knock them off in handling the structure. But now with the rigging finished, it was time to get them done.   The shade castings had tops shaped like a candy kiss, with no natural spot for the wire hangers to grab on.  So I began by filing the tops flat.

That gave me a workable surface to use my twist drill to make holes for the wire hanger.  Although the photo below is out of focus, you can see a dimple on the top of each shade--just deep enough for the wire to grab.

I like a gooseneck shape instead of a simple 90 degree bend, but the wire supplied in the kit kept breaking instead of bending when I tried to create the arc, so I used some spare fine wire.

With the lamps and a few final castings installed, there wasn't much left to do but apply some final weathering in the form of an additional A&I wash over the metal castings (doors, pulleys, chutes, electrical box, motor) and when dry, apply some weathering chalks to finish, mostly rust, gray and black.

Below are some shots of the finished tower.  If I can get some decent sun outside, I will take it outdoors later for a few highly lit shots.

I like this shot--it shows off the rather intricate rigging, which is a real feature of the kit.

I like this shot, as it shows off the bracing underneath, above the delivery track.  You can see I also decided to add that ground level entrance door. I used a tichy door from my stock. It is a panel door rather than the more practical wooden industrial doors above it. My explanation is that the original was damaged by a careless worker and this is the replacement.  I also felt that workers would appreciate a few handgrabs at the top of the ladder--I know I would have--so I added four at strategic places to help them get from the ladder to the platform and back down again.

I have the machinery and sand house to finish off this kit.  Will begin that later this weekend.

--Opa George

Opa George

Wow, the sun came out.  Here are some pics in natural light.

PRR Modeler

Looks incredible George. Beautiful job.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

I remember hanging those weights on my FSM 155 old time dock.  They were definitely a challenge...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PaulS

Outstanding George !!   what a beautiful model of this Coal Tower you have produced.

And the pictures out in the natural light really bring out the coloring, shingles and all the elements you have put into this build !!
Excellent and I have enjoyed following along.
Thanks for sharing with us and enjoy,
Be well and stay safe,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

WigWag Workshop

An epic build for sure! I appreciate you sharing how you did the lamps.  The variation of weathering in the boards, is outstanding.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

George,

Very well done for sure. The natural light changes the entire look. When I did mine, the chutes were the challenge also.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

George,

Simply stunning modeling!  So much detail and such subtle weathering to bring out the best in the build. Kudos!
Jerry

GPdemayo

Excellent job George.....like the angle flashing you added for the roof.....it is a detail most modelers overlook in their builds.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Outstanding build!    :D  :D  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

sdrees

This is an awesome build George!
Steve Drees
SP RR