Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Quote from: richbeau on June 09, 2019, 08:23:25 AM
This looks interesting. Until I just scooted over to the Bar Mills site, I was not familiar with 4th Street Bail Bonds. Oh yeah... I see a few possibilities. Definitely deserves a follow.
--Rich
Rich, I very eager to start in with the 4th Street Bail Bonds kit, which I will try to start in the next few days.  It is Saulenas Tavern on steroids--Bar Mills really went the extra mile with detail on that kit. The security gate alone is amazing.  More on that when I get to it.
--George

PRR Modeler

Looks Great George. It will be interesting to see how the colors work out.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks, Curt. Here is a picture of the walls with trim added. The colors look more faded in this pic--they are a little more vibrant in person.

I have also begun adding the windows. All are peel and stick windows, and quite well done. I primed the window sheet with Rustoleum Camouflage "Sand Camo" as a base, then lightly brushed on the acrylic "golden wheat."  I work slowly with these--only got four windows done, but enjoy this step. Lots of thought put into positioning the open sashes--air conditioning from a simpler time.

--George

swisstrain

Very nice start.  I think I will be checking in on this one also.

I have a port area back alley to fill, and this might make a nice addition!

Urs

Dennis Bourey

George, Looking Great there!!!! Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Looks good George.  Looking forward to seeing it all together.
Curt Webb

Opa George

Thanks, Dennis and Curt. Thank you, Urs. As built, the (second) bail bonds structure would be a good back street type of business. I'm going slightly more "legit" as a jewelry store with a dance hall on the second floor.  I will build this first structure as Saulenas Tavern because I like the signs that come with it, and I could always use another tavern in a tourist town. The upstairs business will be a Psychic/fortune teller--a little more on the shady side--but fun--a typical seaside "diversion."

Here are the main walls of the first structure ready to go up.  The windows will have curtains before the roof goes on. I also glued heavy black paper to the inside of the "blind" wall (window openings but no windows) that will adjoin its partner structure.

All four main walls are raised and squared up. Front side:

And reverse (alley side):

The fancy entrance will be constructed next, before the four small walls that make up the overhang.
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Janbouli

Doing well George , Saulena's is a nice kit.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

George,

I'll be following along as well. I have the kit but it's way down the road to being started. Nice start.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Glad to have you along, Tom. Thanks, Jan and Curt.
Here is the structure with all walls and entrance up, plus the turret floor in place but not glued.  It should remain loose for adjustment when the turret walls are added.  The raggedy-looking yellow window treatment is curtains. You'll have to trust me they look better from the outside as intended to be viewed!

Top-down view, to give you an idea of how it all fits together so far. 

Turret installed. The ocean breeze is kicking up!

Here is the back side.

Up to now it has been easy to put together. The roof and cornice are a bit more complicated. I will be tackling that tomorrow.
A big shout-out to HO Scale Customs and their tutorial on modeling blowing curtains. This is my first attempt following the instructions from Todd and Brett.  I hope to improve with more practice, but I'm satisfied with this first attempt.
--George

postalkarl

Hey George:

It's coming along nicely. Like the dry-brushed green.

Karl

NKP768

Curtains are a cool touch George

Doug

PRR Modeler

Very nice George. The blowing curtains are wonderful.
Curt Webb

Opa George

A little bit more work. I added light baffles with heavy paper, then installed the roof.  On top of the roof I installed the cornice frame, all per instructions.

The cornice face pieces then went on top of the frame, and then I began installing the corbels.  A toothpick made a handy tool to remove any oozing glue.

Here is the structure with all corbels in place.  They installed quite easily and once seated, required very little straightening.

More roof work later.
--George