Delaware & Northern Construction version 1.0

Started by jerryrbeach, February 05, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Quote from: GPdemayo on November 13, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
Neat build Jerry.....I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the layout.  8)

Greg,

Thanks for following along, though the layout is on hold until I get the room re-done.  I appreciate the nice comment on the structure, too.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ndwolf68 on November 13, 2018, 03:33:13 PM
Neat O! I'm comin' along late, but this is very interesting!

R/,
Norm

Norm,

I think our layout construction using dominoes or modules is pretty similar.  Mine already paid off when I decided to change rooms and was excited to find that two of the three not only fit, but require only minor modifications to the track.  Thanks for looking in.
Jerry

Jerry

What time is it? 5:00!!  :)

Just read through the thread Jerry.  Some very nice modeling going on here.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Jerry,

Thanks for dropping by and your nice comment.  Right now progress is slowed as I am bogged down with farm chores.  I hope to get back at this soon. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

My progress on my layout has gotten stalled due to some farm issues that have required a large amount of time.  This has led me to focus on smaller modeling projects where I am able to work for a few minutes at a time without losing track of where I am in the process, primarily vehicle modeling.

I have, however, managed to (finally) figure out the track changes necessary to adapt two of the modules I constructed  last winter to fit into a different room than originally planned and work with my revised track plan.  After drawing out a scale diagram of the floor area and doodling with ideas, I resorted to my tried and true method of planning to see if what I had drawn on paper would fit in the real world.  I dug out my box of old brass sectional track and used pieces of that to lay out the proposed plan, making changes as I learned what fit into the available space and what did not.

The changes to one module are easy, two sections of track will be removed and the feed mill spur will get relocated slightly.  This spur will actually be lengthened, opening up more switching opportunities. The left front corner of this module will now connect to a narrow one foot wide module that will cross a window, rather than the two foot wide module in the initial plan.

The changes to the second module are more extensive.  The basic track configuration with its passing siding will remain intact, but it will be moved closer to the center of the module.  It was originally located near the front of this section of the layout.  This will allow the track to connect with that on the newly designed end module without having to sacrifice aisle width.  (Leaving the track where it is now would have resulted in a pinch point just past the entry to the layout room.)  It also opens up space to move the station so passenger trains will now be able to stop at the station without blocking the crossing.  The creamery will now be located "across the tracks", moving to the front edge of the layout with the tracks behind the building.  This allows for a detailed scene with farmers delivering milk cans to the creamery. 

I'm pretty excited that the new track design has opened up some opportunities for more detailed scenes along the front of the table.   Now I have to find the time to start tearing up and relaying track to make the changes a reality.
Jerry

ACL1504

Jerry,

Yep, real life 1:1 projects do have a priority.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes you described above.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

Thanks for your encouraging words.  Progress has come at a snail's pace, but there is progress!
Jerry