Delaware & Northern Construction version 1.0

Started by jerryrbeach, February 05, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAP

Mark

jerryrbeach

Quote from: S&S RR on November 12, 2019, 11:19:19 AM
Jerry

Very nice work! Yes - it is modeling season.  We got 10 inches, here. The tractor has been fitted with the plow.

John,

Thanks for the compliment.  We don't have enough to plow, I'm thankful for that.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 12, 2019, 11:55:16 AM
Jerry,

I like how you kit bashed the structures to fit your space. That is part of building structures I like, making changes to fit my space.

They are very well done also.

Down here, it's modeling season year round.  8)

Tom  ;D
Tom,

Thanks for your nice comment.  It is so much easier to build structures to fit the available space now I have a layout started.  It could be modeling season year around here, too.  I just need to sell the cows, the farm and move to where I don't have to plow snow.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: MAP on November 13, 2019, 06:22:55 AM
Nice kit-bash Jerry.  Looks great!

Thanks, Mark.  I enjoy trying to figure out how to change a kit to better suit my era and location.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Slow going, still lots to do before the room is layout ready and I can move the modules into it. 
Jerry

Jerry

Jerry great progress on the layout.

And some really great looking structures.

Is the ladder for the upper level???  ;)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Jerry,

I used the step ladder to help me figure out how to light the room.  Here's a pic of a fluorescent fixture, tried a similar four foot LED fixture but failed to take a photo.  My bad! 

Based on my very unscientific tests I have decided to go with the fluorescents as the shadows thrown by the structures are less noticeable than when I tried the LED light.  I did price out lights of both styles with diffusers but the price more than doubled and I have no way to tell if they would help lessen the shadows. 
Jerry

deemery

One big problem with fluorescents is that they will fade your colors, UNLESS you spend the $ to put UV shields on them.  For example, these:  https://www.amazon.com/48-Blocking-Protects-Nano-Meters-PLAS-T8TGUV/dp/B002ZPK81O

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Dave,

Thanks for your input.  I'm aware of the issue with fluorescents causing fading.  I know that George Sellios has shields on his fluorescent bulbs for just this reason. 

My first choice was to use LED lights, but the harsh shadows are a problem.  This is in part due to the location of the ceiling joists dictating the location for installing the lights.  If I could mount the LED lights in a better grid pattern, the shadows would be much less of an issue.

Jerry

sdrees

Hi Jerry,

I used LED light fixtures that I bought from Home Depot.  They were the Home Depot LED shop lights that hang from the ceiling.  They are light weight and I am really pleased with them.  Here are a couple of pictures that might give you and idea how I used them.

Steve Drees
SP RR

jerryrbeach

Steve,

Thanks for taking time to post the photos of your layout lighting.  This is just a guess on my part, but I think the higher ceiling in your space might be the reason the LED lights work well for you.  The ceiling in my room is seven and a half feet.  This places the lights in my room only about three feet above the layout.  I think that is why the LED lights throw such dark shadows around the temporary structures I used to see how the lighting would impact the layout.  Even though the lumens produced by the LED and fluorescents are very close, the LED fixtures are definitely brighter.  To my eye, the light from the LED fixtures is more concentrated, too.  The fluorescent shop light shown in my photo seems better diffuse the light it produces than the LED shop light I tried does.   

Jerry