Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Bob, your skills and ingenuity never cease to amaze me.  Great work!

Jeff

tct855

Bob,
        Very cool detail.  I like the Rube Goldberg approach.  Nice job!  What will you do for an Encore I wonder? Perhaps an old rotating gas station sign (Texaco)? ???
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Thanx Thom...

bparrish

Thom..............

A rotating gas sign would not be that tough after doing this animation. However.. I'm off the hook as they did not do that at the time I model.

I think ! ! ! !

Thanx for looking in.
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hey Thom:

Very cool. I'd like to see a video of that thing turning also.

Karl

deemery

Bob, do you know the history of those?  When did rotating poles become A Thing?  How were they originally powered?  I'm -guessing- these came in with early electricity, just because I can't imagine a steam-powered barber pole :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Karl....

The links are near the bottom on the first page of this thread.

Thanx for looking in.
Bob

bparrish

Having to do with controlling the motor speed.........

I had a rock crusher old Ohmite rheostat from the Pleistocene Epoch that I have carried around for over 50 years.

I was sure that I could finally use it..   WRONG ! ! ! !   The total resistance of that fishing sinker was only 17.5 Ohms.  That was enough to capably run an ancient open frame motor but not a modern can motor.  I tried putting other stuff in series with it and nothing would slow it down enough.

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa  ! ! ! !

Put a decoder on it.  It's a can motor.........DCC has do idea that it is really moving around the railroad or that it is even on the rails.

I assigned it a number that could not collide with anything else.   I chose the nowhere numbers that the phone company assigned to Hollywood thirty plus years ago................  555.........

Anytime you hear that number in some old 70's 0r 80's movie it is one of those BS numbers that won't go anywhere.

So............. my barber pole answers to 555.

Another cool feature of DCC is that most any system after about 2005 will run the motor on the last or most recent command......... So I start the pole running before I chose a locomotive.. get it running and then go to what ever I want to run over the rails.

My command station clears out anything left over when you shut down the whole system so 555 is idle when starting the next time.

I think this is as close as I will get to LCC command.

see ya
Bob

ACL1504

Bob.
Amazing, very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com