FOS Riverbend Chapel

Started by Oldguy, July 21, 2020, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on July 29, 2020, 12:31:25 PM
Quote from: Oldguy on July 29, 2020, 11:02:49 AM
Quote from: BandOGuy on July 28, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
Great work so far.
Reminds me of some of the small country churches I attended while a student in western Kentucky in the early 1960's. Any plans to pitch a revival tent in the yard?
Thanks.  And no, this isn't an evangelical denomination.

The tent could be for a church social event  :)

dave

Ice cream social?  Possible.  Very possible..
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to get the roof cards glued down.  First step in roofing is installing any valley flashing.  I just used the material included in the kit, painted a zinc/aluminum color (or close thereto).

The tower present another problem,  To cricket or not to cricket, that is the question.  I have a bit of OCD when comes to building details and this is like a poke in the eye.  So cricket it is.  I'll make up one using some handy scrap material.  I will most likely use the cut of angles instead of the intended piece above the cut offs.
I will use 3 tab shingles from both Rslaser and Motrak Models.  Why? Well these folk would be lucky to have and addition roof that matches the original.  And the green is just enough off to work.   

Originally, I wanted to use the Motrak Models for the main building, but I noticed that these shingles are not as wide as those from Rslaser.  The tabs width are the same, and I drew out 1/8" spacing and these will need 1/16".  So I'll use the Rslaser shingles for the main building as it is a little more complicated.  Hopefully I'll have enough. 

The Rslaser shingles are shorter, but if I cut them off lengthwise, I can just scrap by with having some longer ones and some short ones, that will just fit the roof card.

Everything was going fine until I had a little over a third of one side done and noticed the roof card starting to warp from the use of the Elmers.  So, I needed to do a bit of late term roof card bracing.  I'll find out tomorrow if it'll stop the warp.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Of course I learn things here. I had to look up "cricket" as a roofing term.   OK, got it. I know it as a "saddle."
--Opa George

Oldguy

Yeah George, same thing just called a different names in different places.
So, I got one side done and it'll give you an idea of ho it will look when finished.  At least the main section.

Of course the other side is a bugger, given the two valleys.  I was going to shingle the cricket, but then thought, nah.  I'll just leave it a rolled roofing covered piece.  Better part of valor ans such.

One item missing that I have noticed in my area was a board listing service times.  So I made one in Excel, printed it, scanned it as a .jpg, inserted into Word and then made a bunch of different sizes.   
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on July 30, 2020, 06:31:51 AM
Of course I learn things here. I had to look up "cricket" as a roofing term.   OK, got it. I know it as a "saddle."
--Opa George

That's too funny.   ;D  I had to do the exact same thing.  I didn't, however, know it was also called a saddle.  That's a great detail to add to the tower.  It never would have occurred to me to add one.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

MAP

Your build is coming along great Bob!  Thanks for all of the photos and descriptions.  I'll be using them as a guide when I build (have to buy it first!) this one.
Mark

Oldguy

ONce I got the paper flashing in and painted, I used a scrap piece of wood, about 3" thick to draw in lines to denote the edge of the shingles into flashing.  It also denoted where to stop with the angling. 

Of course, it is all a matter of luck when one gets to the first full shingle strip of where the shingles overlap.  It's just a matter of adjusting for looks.  And no, I didn't get all that lucky.

I got the main roof done.  Up to the ridge caps.  The upper tower is just sitting there for looks.  And then it struck me that I royally messed up.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Mess up? What mess up? 

Sometime during my getting the addition roof glued and weighted down, it slipped out of place and now runs down hill about 1/8".  I didn't notice it until I saw the photo closely.  I have to live with it.
Some more shoulda's - That addition, besides adding the extra glue blocks and end bracing, I should have added some horizontal bracing on the open end.  I depended upon the base for placement and square.  Shouldn't have.  That and I wanted to add a ridge brace, but didn't.  I got in a hurry.  It would have helped brace the roof and kept it in place during glue up. 

Back to roofing.  I add extra shingle strips at the top and remove all the extra paper, leaving just the shingles.  Then, I razor cut the upper shingles to form a flat to add the ridge caps.  Again, the main roof used RSlaser kit three tab shingles. 

The addition shingles are Motrak three tabs.  These are on thinner paper (about 2 mils thinner) and not as high.  Whereas on the Rslaser, I make my own ridge cap shingles from scrap material, Motrak has designated ridge caps that need to be cut apart.  Once cut apart, these need to be folded lengthwise.  I found that using my angled tweezers and a Mark 1 eyeball, I was able to put a fold in at about half the width.  That is that is need, just as basic fold to start.  Cover the previous piece about half way, pull down on both sides for a bit, and move on to the next piece.  To be prototypical, one installs the ridge caps with the prevailing winds.  That is the wind would blow over the tops, not into the exposed ends.

Now both roofs are done.  I believe I prefer Rslaser's.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

Nice work on the ridge shingles and valley flashing Bob..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 04, 2020, 08:31:58 AM
Nice work on the ridge shingles and valley flashing Bob..... 8)
Thanks.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now that the roof was done,  the front appeared a bit flat, so I added a main door canopy.  Just made from scrap wood pieces.
Next up, the cemetery.  I used a piece of 3/8 gator board as I want the chapel to sit on a slight hill.  I marked out the chapel location and how the plots could look like.  I am using a 4x8 cemetery plot (extremely generous) and found things would work out for 18 graves.  Hmm, not very big at all.  Then I realized that there is a need for space for rear details and a road out.  So I moved everything forward and glued the building down.  This gave me some time to play with the fence configuration some more.  A three fence panel deep arrangement put the cemetery past the chapel front.  That's not good.  So I can add panels to widen it, and just make it two panels deep.

Attaching the fence panels (which are gorgeous) to the posts is going to be interesting. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

hey Bob:

That's coming along just great. The white paint on the walls looks just perfect.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on August 05, 2020, 12:09:34 PM
hey Bob:

That's coming along just great. The white paint on the walls looks just perfect.

Karl
Glad you liked it.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond