Second Build - Foley Towing by RailRoad Kits

Started by WigWag Workshop, July 31, 2020, 08:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

For my second build, I will be doing Foley Towing by RailRoad Kits. (I wanted to build a kit from another manufacture) but I am waiting for the orders to be shipped. 

I chose this kit for the reasons below:

• It's not a basic square kit, it has a little more complexity to it

• It uses shingles, I watched Jason Jensens tutorial, and I wanted to try something other than rolled roofing (I know I can use shingles on any kit, but these were included with this kit)

• It's not a clapboard siding kit
I am looking forward to this build, has it will be my first kit following only paper instructions.  My first build had a DVD to follow along with, which was a big help.  I did some testing of different colors, if anyone would like to give some feedback.  I am leaning toward "Pale Green" has my choice, but I am open to any ideas.

-Steven

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Jerry

Steven I see you got the post problem fixed.

Nice little kit.

Should be a good build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Glad you're up to speed Steven.....I'll be looking in on this one.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Nice choice for a second build Steven.  It should be a fun build.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Looks like fun, Steven. I am following.  Pale green seems a good choice.  I tend to avoid dark shades of most colors, as dark can swallow up details. 

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

WigWag Workshop

In case anyone is interested, these are the brands of the colors.

-Steven

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Steven,

The pale green is a good choice. I'm assuming you want the pale green on the exterior wall! A lighter color on small structures will look better than any dark color. Off white of white for the door and windows will compliment the walls.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

Bracing and A&I Wash completed.  I think I am going to assemble all the wall pieces first, then airbrush the color this time.  I did decide to go with Model Masters "Pale Green" for the main color.  Please let me know if assembling the walls before painting will be OK.

-Steven

Opa George

HI Steven,

Looks very good there.  Of course you can assemble all walls then paint--your choice of technique that works best for you. Here is a tip: You want to watch out for the possibility of oozing glue, or getting any glue on the walls to be painted, though, as the finish will show it.  Glue residue on wood causes the paint to react differently than on the rest of the surface.  That is one of the main reasons for painting prior to assembly.

That is more of an important point for stain--as stain will not soak through glue as it does on wood.  Paint will not be as fussy, but it may still show a bit of an effect.  All a moot point if you are neat with your glue.

--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: Opa George on August 06, 2020, 03:36:22 PM
HI Steven,

Here is a tip: You want to watch out for the possibility of oozing glue, or getting any glue on the walls to be painted, though, as the finish will show it.  Glue residue on wood causes the paint to react differently than on the rest of the surface.  That is one of the main reasons for painting prior to assembly.

That is more of an important point for stain--as stain will not soak through glue as it does on wood.  Paint will not be as fussy, but it may still show a bit of an effect.  All a moot point if you are neat with your glue.

--Opa George

Thank you for the Tip! I do tend to be a bit messy at times lol.

-Steven

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

Walls are up! This kit has been a bit of a challenge, the instructions are not labeled correctly (although it's easy to figure out), and getting the peak located took a bit of time.  Please understand, this is not a complaint, just my experience has a new kit builder. I enjoy the challenge, and I am having a blast with this this build.  Next up paint, I decided to try building the kit first, then paint this time to see the differances in the two processes.

-Steven

ReadingBob

Looking good Steven! 

You'll find that the quality/detail of the instructions varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from kit to kit within the same manufacturer.  Quite some time ago I did a test build for Jimmy and posted it on the forum.  I think my build became Jimmy's instructions for which ever kit it was I was build for him at the time (I can't recall which  ::)).  Some of the very best instructions, IMHO, are the ones found in Fine Scale Miniature kits even though I've heard George say that writing instructions was the one part of the process he really didn't care for.   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Steven.

I'm definitely a fan of painting wood walls before assembly.  However, with plaster, white metal, plastic and resin I assemble first and then paint.

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Nice progress, Steven.  This will be a little gem when you are done.

I have come to really appreciate and enjoy kits that present building challenges.  There is the satisfaction that comes from solving a problem, or successfully completing a particularly tough step.  There is also the mental challenge of reading through, planning steps, looking ahead and organizing work.  Sometimes it's not unlike working a difficult jigsaw puzzle.

Of course if a challenge turns into frustration because of poor kit design, that is the opposite of what I want from a kit.  I have yet to encounter a kit that is truly poorly designed, although I know they are out there.  The most challenging kit I have built is Builders In Scale Tidewater Wharf. In particular, getting the clerestory roof onto the boat repair building.  In fact, the designer wrote in the kit instructions that he expected hate mail with regard to that step--so I can't say I wasn't warned.  Yet the end result was absolutely worth the effort.

Keep up the great effort--this is turning out nicely.

--Opa George