Inter-Action Enterprises Seabiscuits Boatworks

Started by madharry, August 23, 2020, 05:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

There is a lot of scale wood in the kit all neatly colour coded. The walls require some square stock painted white. I used some sand paper the de fuzz the wood before painting it. With the residue of the white paint I dry brushed the blue walls to age them further.

madharry

The window frames need to be prepared. They are all made from brown laser cut RIB. The instructions call for them to be painted white. I decided to spray paint them grey instead.
Mike

ReadingBob

Interesting looking structure/kit.  I can't wait to see what you do with it Mike.  I like your choice of colors too.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

WigWag Workshop

Like other have mentioned, interesting kit.  I like the color choice that you decided. I'll be along for the build, appreciate you sharing.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

hey Mike:

Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks for following Bob, Steven, Karl and Curt.
Mike :)

madharry

The white painted stock was weathered in A&I before being glued in three places to the wall. Then batons were trimmed around the door space so the door frame would fit snugly against the wall.
Mike

madharry

Working on other walls. Trimming batons and adding frames. Two individual walls are glued together lined up on the ruler to ensure they are level.
Mike

GPdemayo

A little late to the game Mike, after a bit of internet problems from last Friday, but I will be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

madharry

I decided to stray from the instructions.............
I unglued the frames from the walls. The mullions have to be glued in from the rear. Unfortunately unless the frames are positioned perfectly, the spacing of the edges of the mullions will not be perfect. They were not and looked decidedly bad. I decided to add the mullions first. This takes a little effort as they tend to slip right through the window space unless one uses a finger to hold them while the glue sets up. I positioned them slightly open. But you do need to leave a gap at the bottom for the sill (how do I know this?). Then the frame can be glued on from the front ensuring the edges around the the mullions within the frame are evenly spaced. Phew......... I did not paint the mullions as I like the slightly weathered look from the laser cutting process.
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks Curt, yes it is a little. Here is the main seaward wall. The instructions call to trim the battens around the window spaces in order to fit the grey frames. Then add the window mullions. I have found it easier to glue the mullions in first before triming the battens in order to centre the mullions nicely within the frames. The spaces are pretty close to a #8024 Tichy 6/6 double hung window just in case someone wanted to substitute them for the laser cut ones.........
Mike

madharry

Pressing on........ the battens need removing to bed down the frames..........