FSM #130 - Ezra Coopers Garage

Started by GPdemayo, July 03, 2020, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on July 05, 2020, 12:51:38 PM
Gregory,
Your build will bring back a lot of memories...will follow along...
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1354.0
Tommy
Also a nice build, Tom. Thanks for the link.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

I remember the build Tommy.....thanks for the link, it will be a great help with the castings. George was a little short in the instructions with this part of the build.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hello again.....the going is slow, but I am making progress.

It took a while, but the rear wall siding is complete. Below is a shot of the interior followed by the exterior view.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-007)

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-009)

Now onto the front wall framing. The top plate of the side walls are not parallel to the bottom plate. There is a slope to the roof from the front to the rear of the building for water run-off, making the front wall a bit higher than the back wall, as shown below. As with the rear wall, blocking was added at 4' and 8' for the siding.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-010)

I ran the siding up to the top plate of the main wall and put a 4"x6" trim piece along the top of the plate. Next up is to glue the siding material onto the false front above the main wall top plate. Because I placed the trim at the top of the plate, I needed to add some blocking for gluing the siding.....they are the little pieces between the short wall studs.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-012)

With the blocking added, the siding could then run across the high section of the front wall.

Exhibit #5 - (ECG-014)

And the framing of the front wall with the siding complete. I have to add siding to the back of the front wall above the top plate. I plan on adding a removable roof to the building, but I need to determine the thickness of the roof system before I install the siding.

Exhibit #6 - (ECG-013)

All done for this session.....next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Really nice modeling Greg. Is the thicker boards because of a "repair"?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Hey Curt.....the siding pieces that look a bit thicker are all from the same group, but there is a smidge of difference in the thickness of some of the pieces. I also had to dive into my stash of 6x6 material because a number of the pieces in the kit were 6x6 on one end, but narrowed down to 4x4 on the other end.

If I'd hazard a guess, remembering that this was pre-laser cutting, I would say that it is probably the result of the equipment that George used back then to saw his lumber. Anybody out there have an answer?
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Opa George

Nice framing work, Greg.  Looks authentic to me.  Should make a really impressive interior.
--Opa George

GPdemayo

Thanks George.....it looks good up close without the camera lens and I'm hoping to do a bang up job with the castings to bring it to life.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

hey Greg:

Looks great. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

Coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing this build come together.  I can't wait to build a kit where I build framing like this, will be looking back on this build for inspiration.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

GPdemayo

Appreciate the nice comment Karl.....thanks for looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Steven.....I am enjoying the build and the stick framing and siding are fun, tedious, but fun.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Judge

Greg - I just caught this thread.  The build looks like it's coming along.  I will follow this with interest. 

ACL1504

Greg,

The wall look great and natural. Have you started on the casting yet?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Funny you should mention castings Tom.....

Today's exercise is dedicated to the big surprise waiting in the little yellow box inside the bigger yellow box.

After reading some of the things that y'all have gone thru with preparing the details for placement with the buildings.

It looks like it would make sense to do a little at a time so that they would all be finished when the structure is ready. From looking at all the pieces, it is going to take some time to get these little beauties ready for placement.

So to begin, the little amount of flashing on the castings were filed and sanded and washed in preparation of a prime coat.

Any reference to a paint color for the castings or the building in this build thread will be Scalecoat oil based, unless otherwise noted.

All the castings, except for the doors and windows, were sorted by group and put in the tray below.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-038)

There sure are a lot of them.

I started priming with the windows and doors, using a thinned Box Car Red #2 for the first layer.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-039)

Next, the castings were stuck to chop sticks and popsicle sticks with double sided tape. I started the priming with a hand brushing of grimy black (Floquil), weathered black (Floquil), sand, silver and aluminum.

The unfinished pieces on the right will be completed with sand and white.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-040)

Getting to the point you see above took a bit of time, so I'm definitely glad it was started now, rather than later. I will be finishing the priming and putting the last coats of color a little at a time over the next few weeks.

That's about enough for this time, now it's back to getting the walls finished.....see y'all soon.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

People following your thread get more than modeling tips, they get an explanation of how to build a structure prototypically.  I have seen models that while well done from a modeling standpoint, would fail in the 1:1 world.  Kudos for sharing your knowledge of real construction methods with us.
Jerry