Franklin & South Manchester Railroad - 2016 - From the Air.

Started by S&S RR, April 06, 2016, 08:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Next to O'Grady's we have an L shape to the block of buildings with Spencer and Co.  The road cuts through the first level of this building.

This structure also houses the  J. W. Oliver Building.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In this photograph we look back on this row of buildings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is the scene on the front of this structure - The Warehouse & Storage Co.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On the other side of this structure we have Wholesale Grocer's Geo. A. Macbeth & Co.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

George has many advertisements decorating the structures in this area.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next door is the Harris Portable Fire Escapes Warehouse.

John Siekirk

Dave K.

You've gifted us another great thread, John. Thank you! I need to get out east and see it soon. Does George still have monthly open houses. I'd bite the bullet and fly out there if I could coordinate it with the school calendar. Thanks again!

S&S RR

Quote from: Dave K. on April 09, 2016, 07:20:44 AM
You've gifted us another great thread, John. Thank you! I need to get out east and see it soon. Does George still have monthly open houses. I'd bite the bullet and fly out there if I could coordinate it with the school calendar. Thanks again!

David

My understanding is that George will be having an open house 1 Saturday a month April - October even during his "retirement".  Give George a call to get the latest schedule.  You have to see this layout in person - pictures don't do it justice.  I can tell you that he is planning new expansions.  It was three years between my last two visits and there were many changes.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

Here is a distance view of the Muddville area.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

George told us that the back drops are those made by Kingsmill. They are no longer in business. George made them come alive by adding exterior details like pipes and exhaust vents, thus giving them the three dimensional look.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

One of the suggestions that was made during our visit to the F&SM is can we find a way of locating the structures on the layout.  A few years back, 2010 to be exact,  the Model Railroad Hobbyist published an article on the changes to the F&SM at that time.  I took a picture of their sketch of the layout and added grid labels so we can identify a particular area on the layout.  So here it is: Yes - it's big and you have to use the scroll bar.  It's a big layout and when I make it small enough so you don't have to use the scroll bar you can't read it. The original article is a good one and you should go back and read it, March/April 2010 issue.  I hope known one has a problem with me using it here.

John Siekirk