Curt Shilling visits the F&SM

Started by fbernard65, April 16, 2018, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbernard65

Hi,

George had a special visitor on Saturday during his open house. Baseball pitching great Curt Shilling who won 2 world series, one for the Diamondbacks and one for the Red Sox. He's a serious model railroader and they had a great time together.

Frank

Raymo

Now I'm really kicking myself for not going.....

ReadingBob

Quote from: fbernard65 on April 16, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
Hi,

George had a special visitor on Saturday during his open house. Baseball pitching great Curt Shilling who won 2 world series, one for the Diamondbacks and one for the Red Sox. He's a serious model railroader and they had a great time together.

Frank

What happened to the World Series he helped the Phillies win in 1993?   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jknapp

I've been a baseball fan for as long as I can remember and also was a Curt Shilling fan as he, more or less, began his career on the Phillies (...and he was a really great pitcher!).  But I honestly never knew that he was into model railroading...!!  That really surprised me when I saw this thread.

By the way, ReadingBob, Curt is not great friends with Mitch Williams (...as you probably know). I think that home run that Mitch gave up to Joe Carter had something to do with it (among other things)!!!!  Oh well, ancient history.....wow, that was almost 25 years ago.  Time flies......

bparrish

So I have been a Cubs fan for nearly 70 years. 

During the years I taught high school I had a lot of ball players.  I put a list on my office door of why baseball is the greatest sport.  I've added to it from time to time; so here is the list as it stands now.

No time limit.

The defense has the ball

The defense can hide the ball. 

No standardized field.

When playing defense, one player is in foul territory.

The rules change when a force is on.

It is legal for the defense to have more than one pitcher on the field at a time.

The strike rules change when you have two of 'em.

The home team is allowed to put obstructions on the field. E.g. Wrigley field ivy and various bull pens. 

If you steal a base you can't take it home with you. 

The two leagues don't play by the same rules.

The only sport where the coach wears the club uniform.

The sole purpose of the game is to outwit the umpires. 
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jbvb

As a native Bostonian, I must point out he's "Curt Schilling"; German, not British.
James

GPdemayo

Neat list for baseball Bob.....I've always been amazed that the Cubs, given their record, have attracted such a loyal following. I've never figured that out.....most teams that have such bad seasons loose their fan base, not the Cubbies.

Why is that?  ???
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey George:

Must have been a great day for you.

Karl

bparrish

Greg ....

It's about mystique.   The fans stay loyal because of a simple inquisitiveness. With the Cubs it's not about IF they are going to lose but rather HOW they are going to lose. 

The most common: home game, down by one, one out, near top of the line up, bottom of the ninth, batter grounds it to short for a double play.

Most notorious:  2003, game six of the NLCS, home game, eighth inning, up by three .......  Bartman !!!

They only exonerated him two years ago after they won the series. 

So now we wait another 108 years.

Yep...  baseball is the greatest sport.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

deemery

And it's the occasional Cinderella story, like the '60 Pirates beating the Yankees, with a homer in the 9th inning by a second basement who was not known for his slugging.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: bparrish on April 17, 2018, 11:28:47 AM
Greg ....

It's about mystique.   The fans stay loyal because of a simple inquisitiveness. With the Cubs it's not about IF they are going to lose but rather HOW they are going to lose. 

The most common: home game, down by one, one out, near top of the line up, bottom of the ninth, batter grounds it to short for a double play.

Most notorious:  2003, game six of the NLCS, home game, eighth inning, up by three .......  Bartman !!!

They only exonerated him two years ago after they won the series. 

So now we wait another 108 years.

Yep...  baseball is the greatest sport.

See ya
Bob

Never thought about it that way.....I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Blazeman

Mike Schmidt into the hobby as well.