The view from my window - the F&SM from the cab of a Steam Locomotive

Started by FandSM Engineer, October 02, 2019, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FandSM Engineer

Make sure you scroll the pictures - this is a wide angle lens.

fbernard65

postalkarl

Hey:

I agree with Frank. Very well done.

Karl

FandSM Engineer

I added an introduction to this thread tonight. The photographs posted so far are some examples of things to come - we will make multiple runs around the layout capturing trackside views of many of the F&SM landmarks from both track directions and in some cases from different tracks. The goal is to add a few pictures each week so you can expect to revisit this thread and find new photographs.

S&S RR

Warning- these pictures are going to get you to look at your layout from a different perspective.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

bparrish

John...

I hate railroads that make you want to go home and dynamite one whole end of your house just so you can start over! ! ! ! !

see ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

deemery

Quote from: bparrish on October 05, 2019, 12:13:43 PM
John...

I hate railroads that make you want to go home and dynamite one whole end of your house just so you can start over! ! ! ! !

see ya
Bob

Or that make you want to toss everything and take up a different hobby  :P

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dave K.

Wonderful shots. Last Open House of the year is next week...10/12!

ACL1504

This has the making of a great thread. However, I think we should (I) should set the record straight in adding more facts to the story. Yes, this is George's fantastic F&SM layout. Yes, the video is from a small camera provided by Frank Baker and placed on a flat car pushed by a F&SM locomotive.

At the time of our visit Frank asked George if he could run the camera and capture a track level view of the F&SM. I remember George saying, "Well, I don't know. What do you think Thommy"?  Thommy, AKA, Thom Driggers said "Yes, we can do this." Thom and Frank set up the camera and Thom made the video. Frank gave him the video card to Thom who took his time and made the video for Frank. Apparently Frank gave a copy to John.

All the screenshots John is posting to this thread are from the video that Thom took and spent hours editing for Frank using Frank's camera.

So, I want Thom Driggers to get the credit he is deserving of.

Thom is shown on the right next to George.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

I recognize 1 or 2 of the above, but how about some ID's, please.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 05, 2019, 06:42:14 PM
This has the making of a great thread. However, I think we should (I) should set the record straight in adding more facts to the story. Yes, this is George's fantastic F&SM layout. Yes, the video is from a small camera provided by Frank Baker and placed on a flat car pushed by a F&SM locomotive.

At the time of our visit Frank asked George if he could run the camera and capture a track level view of the F&SM. I remember George saying, "Well, I don't know. What do you think Thommy"?  Thommy, AKA, Thom Driggers said "Yes, we can do this." Thom and Frank set up the camera and Thom made the video. Frank gave him the video card to Thom who took his time and made the video for Frank. Apparently Frank gave a copy to John.

All the screenshots John is posting to this thread are from the video that Thom took and spent hours editing for Frank using Frank's camera.

So, I want Thom Driggers to get the credit he is deserving of.

Thom is shown on the right next to George.

Tom

Thank you for posting the picture with Tommy in it - this is the one I took and the picture I posted yesterday was the one Tommy took (the first one I found).  The pictures being posted are actually directly from the raw video that Frank and I downloaded to my computer while we were there. Frank and I watched them in the hotel room that night.  I'm using a frame grabber to capture the picture from the raw video and then cropping and editing the photo for the thread. Tommy was running the trains the day the video was made.  Frank also gave the cards to Tommy for his video - I'm not sure what the status is for it's release.  Sorry Tommy, I didn't intend to leave you out and will go back to the intro and change it to include you. We all had a great time that day.  It's amazing that it has taken 3 years to get to this project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: BandOGuy on October 05, 2019, 06:48:12 PM
I recognize 1 or 2 of the above, but how about some ID's, please.

The cast of characters above are from left to right.  Bob Butts, Tom Langford, George Sellios, Tommy Driggers, Frank Baker, and Jaime Zepeda.

I will also add a ID tag to the first picture.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

No problem, I just knew that Thommy did a lot of the video stuff. He and I became kindred spirits when we discovered we both had a  love of fixing, repairing and painting brass locos.

I'm really going to enjoy this thread. Yes, very hard to believe it was three years ago. Damn, I'm getting older by each post. 8)

Tom  ;D

Thom Driggers and Tom - Peabody '16

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 06, 2019, 08:01:08 AM
John,

No problem, I just knew that Thommy did a lot of the video stuff. He and I became kindred spirits when we discovered we both had a  love of fixing, repairing and painting brass locos.

I'm really going to enjoy this thread. Yes, very hard to believe it was three years ago. Damn, I'm getting older by each post. 8)

Tom  ;D 

Sorry again for forgetting Thommy in the original introduction paragraph. You guys sure do make brass locos into pieces of art. I remember he was planning on putting out a video of the F&SM but I think the project got but on the back shelf.  I will be preparing more pictures for this thread and posting in the coming days.

quote]
John Siekirk