Started by postalkarl, June 23, 2020, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Jerry:

Thanks much appreciated.

Karl

Opa George

Karl,
I missed the beginning of this thread and am catching up.  I love seeing the old kits come to life.  The brick treatment you used is beautiful.  Second story also looking excellent.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey George:

thanks buddy the compliment is very much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Here's A progress shot. I finished up the roof and added the tool box. As can be seen I don't use folded paper over the ridged. I use separate cap shingles. Lots of them on this kit. Over a 100. I don't know whose shingles they are as there is no label on them. Hope it looks OK.

Karl

hairball

When I just saw the title and FSM kit 30 your going to build it, I thought , this is going to be an adventure, why don't I read this to see what the maestro Karl comes up with.

Well I have to say, you made it seriously better and those shingles ,  whoever produced them BIS ? really finish the structure off.

Great job

mike lynch............HAIRBALL

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

thanks for the great compliment. The rain gutters are now being cut and installed.

Karl

deemery

Karl, I recognize those shingles.  They're from "Northeastern Scale Models", a spin-off from Northeastern Scale Lumber.  NESM was eventually bought out by NESL, who I think still uses some of this paper for their pre-assembled shingle sheets.  (I used to buy unassembled 8 1/2 x 11 sheets from NESM.)  They found this construction paper that had an unique pattern that looks pretty good as slate shingles, with a bit of weathering.  I've used them on several large mill projects on my previous layout.  Suggest weathering them by stippling/scrubbing various pastels/chalks. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Fantastic as always.  I also love the individual ridge cap shingles.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Karl!

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

I couldn't tell you. But thanks for the info. I kinda like them the way they are.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Curt, Bob D and Mark:

Thanks for the great compliments. Much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

Did A little more work today. Chimney, Smoke stack, and rain gutters are added to the roof. Also added oil tank and the vines to the walls. Oil tank is on front wall. you can just about see it in the photo.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

hairball

nailed it, crushed it like a Barlinka grape , spiked the build.  !!! Vines and signs just right.

Am surprised George never did an update on this as a newer kit with his new techniques and lead brick walls, laser cut wood walls.

I would like to scratch build this in O and use " trains of texas " brick walls heavily distressed & warped and builders in scale real copper raised seam roofing.

mike..........HAIRBALL