Bar Mills Seckler's Cold Storage Background Flat for the A&S

Started by ReadingBob, December 26, 2019, 02:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Great progress Bob.....can't wait to see what you do with the lighting.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

JimF

How to make a background model a foreground model :)

Looks fantastic.

Jim

cuse

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 12, 2020, 08:41:42 AM

Thanks Greg.  I haven't had the need to put too much thought into the lighting yet.  Nice thing about background flats, the interior is (for the most part) readily accessible after the build it complete.  I will need to solder leads tot a bunch of those itty bitsy LED's though for the exterior lights.   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: JimF on February 18, 2020, 02:31:18 AM
How to make a background model a foreground model :)

Looks fantastic.

Jim

Thanks Jim!  Even though it's a background flat it'll on the Summit (upper level) of Tom's layout so it'll be at eye level.  Well, my eye level anyway.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: cuse on February 22, 2020, 06:34:26 AM
Looks great Bob. Excellent tutorial as well.

John

Thanks John!  Glad to see you're following along.  Hope things are well over on the coast.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 22, 2020, 08:19:53 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on February 12, 2020, 08:41:42 AM

.....I will need to solder leads tot a bunch of those itty bitsy LED's though for the exterior lights.   8)

Have fun with that Bob.....I could probably get 1 out of 10 to work if I did it.  :(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Lynnb

Bob catching up on your projects, always nice to read up on your well detailed narratives.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

John B

Just found this thread.  Wow; that is one great looking model...Masonite?  How did that work out?  Looks great; might have to get me one of those Cold Storage outfits

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Lynnb on March 28, 2020, 11:13:16 PM
Bob catching up on your projects, always nice to read up on your well detailed narratives.

Thanks Lynn.  I'm going to finish up the thread today.  The model has been finished for a couple of weeks now but I've been remiss in posting updates to the thread.  ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: John B on March 29, 2020, 02:30:54 PM
Just found this thread.  Wow; that is one great looking model...Masonite?  How did that work out?  Looks great; might have to get me one of those Cold Storage outfits

The Masonite worked well for bracing the main structure.  Only two negatives.  One piece was missing so, being impatient, I made a substitute myself.  I have no doubt what so ever had I contacted Bar Mills and ask for a replacement I would have gotten one ASAP but I had a big enough scrap of Masonite in the garage so I just cut one out myself.  The other negative, I discovered late in the build, came when drilled .018 holes in two places to install gooseneck lamps that light up.  Drilling through the Masonite took a bit of time/effort but I got it done.  Had I done a little planning up front I could have drilled a 1/4" hole in the Masonite in the location where I planned on installing the gooseneck lamps and then I would have only had to drill the .018 through the softer fiberboard walls.  Live and learn.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Time to wrap this thread up so I can start a new one.

I installed the fire escapes on the left hand wooden structure.  These are a neat detail.  The instructions mention they can be installed on either the left hand structure or the right hand structure.  I suppose that's true but considering the left hand structure has slots in the wall for the supports and the right had structure does not it would require extra work to install them anywhere other than shown.

After gluing the supports in place the fire escape landings were glued to the supports.

Next I glued the loading dock in place making sure to keep it square.  The loading dock comes in three pieces and I learned something when I went to add the second and third piece.

When I went to glue the second loading dock in place there was a noticeable gap between the first and second piece.  These are 'tab in slot' type assemblies.  Not wanting to get cited by OSHA for a safety hazard I had to take corrective action to close the gap.

I removed the first loading platform assembly that I had just glued in place.  Trimmed the tabs to so they'd be a bit shorter which would allow me to slide the platform a bit to the left and butt it up against the center platform.  I did the same with the platform on the other side of the center platform.  Problem solved.

Next up was the lower roofs that cover part of the loading docks.  There are peel and stick 'seams' that go on the roof.  I found I could quickly cut the batch out with a pair of micro shears.

More in a moment... ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

The roofs were finished and you can see the 'seams' in place and painted.  Next up came adding the brick supports to the loading platforms.  The spacing had to be determined by looking at the photo's.  The templates in in the instructions didn't really help.  I used 5 minute epoxy to glue on a couple at a time and put a piece of strip wood beneath them to ensure they were up tight against the platform until the glue set.  Any gap with the base, after the model is complete, will be covered with ground cover.  That'll be Tom's job.  ;)

Next I constructed the small, wooden, water tank that goes on the roof.  I made one major mistake with this.   :-[  I failed to read the instructions closely enough.  You first construct a core and then wrap it with a sheet of micro plywood like material that resembles board by board construction.  Well, I tried to wrap it an glue that sheet in place but it simply wasn't flexible enough.  I missed the part in the instructions where they mention breaking the sheet between each board to make it flexible enough to warp around the core.  I removed it and tried that but still wasn't happy with the results.  So I bought a piece of 7/8" dowel and cut a 1" long piece (same size as the original core).  Then I glued 2" x 6" strip wood around it and across the top to scratch build my own version of a tank the same size.  I used the original tank as a guide to drill holes in my new water tank where the bands (thread) would go.

Then I pushed some track spikes down into the holes to use as an anchor for the thread.  This side of the tank will face the back of the structure when installed and not seen.

The tank sits on a little support that's then glued onto the small roof top structure seen next to it in this picture.

At this point here's what the main structure looks like as well as the support structure for the other, this one metal, tank that will go on the roof.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net