Started by Oldguy, July 21, 2020, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Great modeling and wall coloring.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Since the Chapel is firmly attached, I got a start on the cemetery.   First up was attaching all the upright posts.  I made two jigs to aid in their placement.  One for the fence sections and one for the gate.   With some posts having a bottom piece. I needed something to raise the jig.  I used whatever was handy, but worked. 

A little bit of time is needed or a post glue to grab and hod, so while waiting, I dd other little side projects.  Like give a bit of a rusting to the fence and gate sections.  Or installing the brick chimney and a metal smoke jack.  Then there was a board with the power meter and electrical box.  The board fell right after I took the photo and was reattached.  The waste pipe on the back was made out of scrap brass rod.

At the end of the work session I managed to get all the stone posts installed and was only off one section in one corner.  I will need to add some landscape foam after I plant what headstones I want.  Then, I can add the fence and gates.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Slow progress day.  Got the headstones planted and some weathering.  Then it was on to adding the base layer of the ground foam.  My ground foam is mixed with dirt powder by a happy accident. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Oldguy:

Looks great but I do have a question. Why is the rear roof slanted like that. I would think that the peak should be level from one end to the other.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on August 06, 2020, 06:56:49 PM
Hey Oldguy:

Looks great but I do have a question. Why is the rear roof slanted like that. I would think that the peak should be level from one end to the other.

Karl
It should.  Like I previously mentioned, that roof card slipped down overnight with it being weighted down and all,  as the glue was drying.  I didn't catch the mistake until I already had added extra glue on the inside and started shingling.  There was just no way to remove it without destroying most of the building.  I'm going to try to disguise it a bit with a tree or two.   It is really noticeable from the back, not so much from the front.

There are times when I think that I should have scrapped both roofs and started over.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to get the fencing and gates installed.  I fabricobbled a jig to old both fence and gates vertical while they were being glued and give the appropriate height from the ground foam.  Even though I used a jig to space out the posts, several were too short and a couple too long.  One section broke towards the end, which was not an issue as I used this section to add some wire to attach to the posts and glue the section back together.

Now that had dried, I added the original base to the 1/2" foam board. 

Now it was time to see if I can use dryer sheets for small land forms.   Here I cut a sheet into 1 1/2" strips and used matter medium to affix the upper level edges.   I'll find out tomorrow if it holds and if so, then attach the lower edges.

I also made up a short section of sidewalk and some steps to the front door from the soon to be parking lot.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The fabric softener sheet experiment looks good so far.  With the upper section dry, it was time to attach the lower section.  While that was drying, I added a railroad tie retaining wall on the right hand section, including a set of RR tie steps.

Then it was time to give the white base a coat of ground color.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Bob,

Nice job on the church, er, chapel. Looks good.

I'm starting to build mine and will start the thread in a few minutes or so. I've followed this thread with much interest and have enjoyed the journey. I have a few ides for mine so it won't be a total stock kit build.

I'll be checking back on this build as my reference.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 06, 2020, 05:49:21 PM
Bob,

Nice job on the church, er, chapel. Looks good.

I'm starting to build mine and will start the thread in a few minutes or so. I've followed this thread with much interest and have enjoyed the journey. I have a few ides for mine so it won't be a total stock kit build.

I'll be checking back on this build as my reference.

Tom ;D

Glad to be of service.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

MAP

Great build Bob!  Neat idea using dryer sheets for landforms.
Mark

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what A beautiful job you did on this. I assume the open yard will be the grave yard??

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Opps I loked at pics again and I see the gravestones.

Karl

Oldguy

Thanks Karl.  I stil have a bit more scenery to do.  I will give static grass a shot and see what happens.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Raymo

S&S RR

Bob

Your build is really looking great - I'm following along on your journey.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad