CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Quote from: postalkarl on December 04, 2019, 10:37:36 AM
Hey Jaime:

Your build is looking just great as usual.

Karl
Thank you. I'm slowly chipping away at it.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

What's happening ?!

Ovwe the last week I have been repairing my laptop. During the Thanksgiving holiday the hard drive where I store my photos crapped out. I guess 7 years or so is not too shabby for the drive. I did have a backup so once I procured a newer, faster and more reliable drive I was able to roll along.

So I will try tot catch up as best I can.

For now I will show how I managed to apply the provided signs to the buildings. There are many ways to do this. Honestly, try whatever works for you and stick with it. Here is what I did.

I cut out the individual signs from the provided sign sheet.

I "dunked" the sign into a pool of full strength white glue. The goal is to coat the back of the sign with a thin layer of white glue.

I lifted the sign out of the pool of glue and lined it up with a clapboard on the building wall.

With the blunt end of my tweezers I burnished the sign onto the clapboard wall. Some white glue will squeeze out. Try to remove it carefully.

This is what I ended up with.

I dry brushed some of the color I used on the wall onto the sign. I did only enough to blend the sign in with the wall.

And this is what I ended with up when done.

Now I have to finish gluing up the walls of the main building.

It's kinda tricky this main building. The wood walls are not the full height og the building. There are other walls that get stuccoed and then glued to the wood walls. I'll show that once I am caught.

Later.

Jaime

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

Just went through the whole thread again for fun. It's looking just great. Keep the photos coming.

Karl

NEMMRRC

I'm putting all the walls together and my wife says, "It's starting to look like a building."....

I need to work on the stucco walls for the main building. I'm waiting for the spray paint to dry.

Somehow I've jumped around all over the place on this kit. I have not been following the instructions in order. There is guidance on how to do the stucco walls. I am lousy at stucco so I will stick to the instructions for that part.

Later.

Jaime

postalkarl

Jaime:

I use Liquitex Ceramic Stucco. I apply it to the wall with a brush and go back and forth between it and water. Here's A picticur of on of my walls on FSM Houligans alley. Your build is looking just great.

Hope this helps you.

Karl

postalkarl

Jaime:

Here's a photo of the Licquitex Stucco. You can get it at your craft store.

Karl

NEMMRRC

That's some pretty cool stuff there , Karl. Liquitex stucco. Very nice. Thanks for the tip.

The instructions for this kit say to use Rustoleum Multicolor Textured spray paint "Caribbean Sand". I bought mine at Walmart. That is what I am using. Here is a sample of what it looks like 90 minutes after it's sprayed on a taskboard wall included in the kit.

On the right is the cap of the spray can. In the middle is the wall I spray painted. On the left is the label on the can. This is a photo fo the can.

Later.

Jaime

Opa George

I enjoy seeing different applications of various stucco textures. Having built two FOS kits that recommend using Durham's Water Putty, I am looking for an alternative.  I like Durhams for many things, but modeling stucco with it takes a lot of practice and skill. 

George

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

That stuff looks pretty nice also. I would just love to see it painted. I think I will go to the hardware store and get A can.

Karl

Dave K.

I've gone to the spray for stucco exclusively. It's quick, easy, neat, and sands nicely.  From my experience you might consider the following:
   1) Shake extremely well and shake frequently during application. The "grit" texture separates quickly from the carrier/solvent, resulting in runs.
   2) To further avoid runs, consider keeping the wall flat during spraying. If already assembled, place the building on its side and do one wall at a time.

NEMMRRC

Thanks for the feedback on the stucco applications.

I've used the water putty when I built FSM's George Bailey Produce. It tried my patience for sure.

I am mocking up the walls for the main building.

More as it develops.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

BandOGuy

Really liking the build and the pace you've set.
Keep at it. There's Timonium II coming up the end of January.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Jerry

Jaime that a fine looking building.  Your really doing a great job.

Nice coloring and the windows and trim very nicely done.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

That is really coming out beautifully. Love the colors you are using. Keep the photos coming.

Could you send me the post the stock number of the Rustoleum paint you used for the stucco as I want to give it A try.

Karl