Timberline Models Photograpers Studio & Home kitbash

Started by Oldguy, October 05, 2020, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's coming along nicely. Really like the yellow walls.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on October 11, 2020, 03:31:28 AM
Hey Bob:

It's coming along nicely. Really like the yellow walls.

Karl
Yellow wood structures are a stretch for me.  I grew up in a white washed world where houses were distinguished by their shutters, roofing, and maybe window/door trim colors.  So, I am out of my comfort zone.  Too bad no one makes window shutters.  But then, seeing the number of different windows available, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  That and a small market.

I managed to et the house foundation painted and glued on.  Then on to the annex foundation.  But first I need to make the annex.  I added a brace/spreader to keep the building the same width and then modified my brick work so I could add some glue bars across the back to get that section aligned.  This little section is made up of six wall sections.  With this complete, I was able to get it's foundation together and spray painted gray.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Oldguy

Quote from: Janbouli on October 12, 2020, 08:02:33 AM
Quote from: Oldguy on October 11, 2020, 10:05:51 PM

Too bad no one makes window shutters. 
Rich from RSLaser makes them in N-scale , pretty sure he could make them in H0 as well. http://www.rslaserkits.com/Window-Shutters-for-the-N-scale-Tichy-2508-66-windowsew-Product--Please-enter-name-here_p_4186.html

Hmm, I wonder if the rails and stiles could be cit to needed length and basically the same for the slats?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I got the HCB foundation glued to the annex and spent some amount of time on the roofing.  I was concerned about the porch roof but it wasn't all that bad getting the peak flashing cut and formed.  The porch preety much came out as I had hoped.  Brick supports and plain supports.

Eventually I got around getting the annex glued to the house.  The roofing panels are just placed for effect and not glued down.  I almost forgot about the house chimney as it needed roofing cut away from it.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Very nice Bob. The basic house without the extension would work well for a mining town.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

WigWag Workshop

Looking great Bob! The build is inspiring me to start my Sea Port Models Farm House kit.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Your bringing this blast from the past to life...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Oldguy

So here I am, one step forward and two steps back.   I measured and installed four brick piers for the annex.  Welp.  One wound up right in front of the door, which meant that a support post would be right in front of the door.  No good.  The main question is - "How in the heck did I not catch that mistook."  So I removed the three inner piers and then added back two.

Then I got looking at the roof over the porch,  I wanted to have the porch roof deck go partway up the annex roof deck and then cover in tin.  But Nooooo.  I made the annex roof deck, added the tin, and then installed it.  And installed it crooked.   Okay. I managed to cut away the offending adhesive and at least get the roof decking straight. This time I added a stop to keep the deck from sliding down again.  And I do have the height to slip the porch roof under the annex roof.  But, I'll need to add the rafters.   No biggie.  Then on to add the the porch supports.

Now it was time to add the peak tin.  For the house, I just cut so that the bulge was flanked by material and made a cut.  It seems that the mid-point was 3 N-Scale feet.  Go figure.   For the annex, it was a simple matter of cutting the corrugated tin into 2 foot squares and then bending them in the middle.  I used a piece of NG Ribbon Rail, added tape a foot from the edge and do a slight bend.  Sorry about the lousy photos.  I need to play with the settings again.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Oldguy

Curt, thank.  They came out fairly decent.

I tried to use just weathering powders, but they don't cover any shiny spots.  For the house I hit each side with burnt umber and then, while wet, dabbed on light rust powder.  Let stand and then brush off excess.  For the annex, I used full width sheets, so I made up a stencil about 22 scale inches wide and short 4 inches on the height.  Again, used the burnt umber followed bu light rust powder.  Followed all up with the tar waterproofing as necessary and then added the chimneys.  The house chimney had to be assembled from 4 plastic brick sides and a plastic chimney cap.  The smoker chimney was a brick pier stick with a hile drilled in the top. 

I noticed some sloppy paint on the house front eave, that'll need to be cleaned up.  I went to see about installing it on the Sawpit board, but of course, this is too big and was mounted on it's own board.  I'm a bit sad that I didn't build it as a photographer's house and studio, although parts if it would still need to be improved. 

So, on the next big adventure.  I need to do something that will hold my hand through the build and fairly simple.  I really need a small family compound so . . . .
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Zephyrus52246

Nice build, Bob.  I really like the colors.

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Very nice roof coloration.  It goes well with the walls.
Curt Webb

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jim Donovan

Really came out well. I like the color scheme, fits great.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad