The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

One subject not mentioned much is maintenance of the layout. Snit happens on the A&S RR and when it does, I'm not one to jump right on the problem. A few weeks ago, I broke a toggle switch on one of the control panels that control the turnouts on the Bottoms.

This toggle is supposed to go up and down and not left to right as shown. That is how badly I bent it.

Not having this toggle operating results in the entire east staging trains to be DRT (Dead Right There). This is a term I used often when  processing crime scenes in my LE career. Just saying.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Fortunately, I have a stash of spare parts. I hate to start a project and then find I don't have what I need. Usually this results in the project being put off to another day.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The wires were unsoldered and the old toggle was removed. A replacement toggle was installed and the wires were resoldered.

Back in business.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also noticed another set of bi-color LEDs were out. Replacing these is a bit more complicated than replacing a broken toggle.

Fortunately, it was just a loose wire. The wire was resoldered and all is now good.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This afternoon I started to work on the Big Tahope River area. I used painters tape to cover the small gap between the river edge and the inside of the fascia.

The tape will keep any liquids from leaking between the fascia and layout edge. This can and does cause a mess to stuff stored underneath. Don't ask how I know.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'll be using a product called Fusion Fiber to build up the earth embankment next to the sides of the retaining walls.

I'm not sure what the fiber is but it looks and feels like compressed cotton and is impregnated with powered glue. When mixed with water it becomes a slimy mess but is also very effective at what it is intended to do.

More on this tomorrow afternoon.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Yesterday I was talking about the Fusion Fiber product. I pulled three hands full out of the bag and using a mixing bowl added some water. I also added some Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat color.

The color addition is for two reasons. One, the white color was, well white. ;D ;D  However, using a color in the mix gives me a reference to know when I have it thoroughly mixed. Kinda hard to tell when its all white if it is mixed. 8)

So you see in the next photo I still have a little mixing to do.

After mixing, I used a putty knife to add it to the base of the retaining wall.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After letting it set for a few hours, I use the putty knife to soften the front edge and angled it down more towards the river bed, not shown here.

I added this 24 hours ago and its still wet. It will take several more days for it to dry to the touch.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This is the same product I've used for other areas on the layout.

Here I used it for the roadway and track bridge area some four years ago.

Here I used it around the Suwannee River Lagoon banks.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Interesting stuff.  I'll follow this see how it all comes out.  Nice work Tom.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

carl b

Tom, thanks for showing the Fusion Fiber in use. Anxious to see it used.

Several days to dry? Hmmm.
Carl

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on February 23, 2020, 09:22:50 AM
Interesting stuff.  I'll follow this see how it all comes out.  Nice work Tom.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you. It is a great product and it can be rewet when dry and reused.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: carl b on February 23, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
Tom, thanks for showing the Fusion Fiber in use. Anxious to see it used.

Several days to dry? Hmmm.

Carl,

You are welcome. As mentioned, I've used it in several other locations on the layout. The drying time depends on how thick it is applied. Mine is going on 48 hours and the surface area is dry but it is still a little damp on the inside. You can tell as it is still squishy.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com