Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Here is how I solved this issue.

I used the edge of a clean tooth pick and applied a thin layer of glue to the rear of the window frame and the wall section. I then smoothed the glue with my finger and let dry.

Here is a look at the frames in place.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Knowing the glue would dry clear, I carefully painted the rear of the frames, over the glue, with Floquil Weathered Black. Any dark color will do. I was very careful not to get any black on the window mullions. The mullions will be stained with a thin wash of white.

The rest of the wall will also be painted black.

When the wall was held up to the LED work lights, no light shinned through.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Outstanding Tom. I actually liked the look of the wood covering the window like it's broken.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

WigWag Workshop

Windows look awesome, and I really appreciate the detailed tips you are writing to go along with the pictures.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ReadingBob

Great solution to the light leak problem.   8)  I'll have to keep that in mind if this one ends up in my stash.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 16, 2020, 08:52:16 PM
Outstanding Tom. I actually liked the look of the wood covering the window like it's broken.

Curt,

Thank you, I like the boarded up look also.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on September 17, 2020, 07:09:13 AM
Windows look awesome, and I really appreciate the detailed tips you are writing to go along with the pictures.

-Steven

Steven,

Thank you, much appreciated. I try to explain all I do in a build and I'm glad you are learning from the build.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 17, 2020, 08:08:35 AM
Great solution to the light leak problem.   8)  I'll have to keep that in mind if this one ends up in my stash.   ;)

Bob,

Much appreciate the compliment my friend. It was an easy fix.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The church entrance has a solid double door, no windows.

I followed the same procedure as the church windows for installing the doors. I decided to glue a small scrap piece of wood to the rear/interior wall around the door opening.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then glued the doors on flush to the scrap piece.

I then added the door frame.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The walls have the laser burn on the inside of the windows. This doesn't take staining to well so I used  full Strength Floquil Reefer White to lightly coat the area.

Using a light coat of paint allowed me to keep the window paint looking faded.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then used a "white wash" of Floquil Reefer White to cover the walls. I thinned the white to 40 parts white and 60 parts/% thinner. Once the first coat was applied and dry (not cured), a second (final) coat was applied and allowed to dry and cure.

The finished walls aren't as white as they appear in the photo.

Adding the stained glass tomorrow.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Nice really like that white finish.

Your doing a really bang up job on this one Tom.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln