Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Looks great and nice that you didn't have to cut out the decorative trim pieces from scratch.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

richbeau

Coming along nicely George (or is it Yiorgos? ;)). When I built this (ages ago), I put a wooden fence around the 'rear' edges of the roof and put a clothes line up there along with assorted clutter.
--Rich

Opa George

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 14, 2019, 04:49:08 PM
Looks great and nice that you didn't have to cut out the decorative trim pieces from scratch.

Indeed, Curt. I don't know if I have that amount of creativity and patience in me. Laser cutting for model kits arrived sometime during my hiatus from model railroading--what a pleasant surprise when I got back into the hobby!
--George

Opa George

Quote from: richbeau on June 14, 2019, 05:07:26 PM
Coming along nicely George (or is it Yiorgos? ;)). When I built this (ages ago), I put a wooden fence around the 'rear' edges of the roof and put a clothes line up there along with assorted clutter.
--Rich
Thanks, Rich! I love your idea for the roof activity. I may borrow it--hope you don't mind :).  In fact I have something special planned for the turret, another idea borrowed from someone else.

Yiorgos is cool--call me anything but late for dinner.  Actually, though, in this case Opa is German for grandfather, which is what my grandsons call me. Although I did grow up in a neighborhood with lots of Greek kids, so I suppose it could go either way.
--Opa George

richbeau

Quote from: Opa George on June 14, 2019, 07:00:19 PM
Thanks, Rich! I love your idea for the roof activity. I may borrow it--hope you don't mind :).
<snip>
--Opa George

I'm sure I've got a photo. Let me dig it up.
--Rich

S&S RR

George

Very nice work. I just got caught up on your build thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

richbeau

Here are a couple of pics of my version George.

This first one from 2008 shows Saulenas' on a FreeMo module I had built...

This shot gives you an idea of the roof top additions.

I did add more clutter as time went on but right now I have no idea where those pics might be. In any case I hope these are food-for-thought.
--Rich

Opa George

Very nice, Rich. Thanks for those--good inspiration for some rooftop goodies. Did you scratchbuild the clothesline?  I even see clothespins.
--George

Bruce Oberleitner

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 09, 2019, 09:04:36 AM
FIRE - FIRE, everybody out. Now I can get on the front row in the middle.

Tom AKA: Firestarter per Jimmy D.

You better not be up to your old tricks Dr. Evil. 

8) 8) :o

Bruce Oberleitner

Opa George,
It looks like you got another winner on your hands.  I really like how Bar Mills did the cornice and corbels on the model.  That's got to be about as easy as it gets for doing that kind of detail work.

;D ;D ;D

richbeau

Quote from: Opa George on June 15, 2019, 11:12:41 AM
Very nice, Rich. Thanks for those--good inspiration for some rooftop goodies. Did you scratchbuild the clothesline?  I even see clothespins.
--George

The figures, and the leftmost part of the clothes line, are from Preiser. I've seen a Woodland Scenics version that is pretty nice. The right section of of the clothes line is scratched with a tall piece of lumber for the fence corner and a piece of thread.

Other ideas you might try - beehives and beekeeper, chicken coop or a pigeon coop. I've seen all of them on rooftops.
--Rich

deemery

Or sunbathers (clothed or otherwise...)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

I made some modifications to the cornice with scrap.  I needed to expand the footprint of the inner cornice wall to accommodate the tower roof.

The tower roof is made from more scrap plus some "L" channel from my stock. The Bar Mills box kindly sacrificed itself for the roof board.

And a few pictures of the tower roof in place. I used up about 60% the rolled roofing supplied, but I think I have enough leftover from the FOS Terminal kit to cover the flat roof.

Some of the self-adhesive roll roofing is not cooperating and lying flat. I will need to sneak a touch of glue underneath.

One more pic. 

Lots more details to add. The outside stair to build, yet.  Roof to finish. A few more items I may not have thought up, yet.  Then it will be on to the adjoining structure in this build.
--George

PRR Modeler

Neat job on the peaked roof.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey
George:

Love the peaked roof. Great job.

Karl