Welcome to the "Lighting Your Model" Board

Started by Slim Jerkins, December 17, 2013, 10:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim Jerkins

Welcome to the Lighting Board!

If you have any questions about lighting your model then this is the place. I'll try to answer any questions as best I can - Perhaps someone else may have an even better answer so feel free to chime in or pile on.

I'm currently working on some simple lighting for RailroadKits.com Depot Station.http://railroadkits.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=58

It'll be a fairly simple project requiring some basic soldering skills. Nothing super hard so check back soon.

-slim

robertseckler

ACL1504

Slim,

Please make sure your LED's in this kit can't catch on fire! If they do, I'm not to blame! :-X :-X :-X

Tom :)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

Serussly, it's great to have you here to answer all our lighting questions!
Your products, expertise, and willingness to share with all of us are top-notch!

But, you didn't think I was gonna let you by that easy, did you?

Slim's original product design:

GPdemayo

Slim:

As I am going to start that kit after the holidays, I'll follow this one closely.

You lighting kits are great and I have been watching the results ReadingBob has been having with them and they are terrific. Tom and I are planning for Bob to give us (mainly me) a clinic when he has some spare time.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 19, 2013, 02:38:11 PM
Slim:

As I am going to start that kit after the holidays, I'll follow this one closely.

You lighting kits are great and I have been watching the results ReadingBob has been having with them and they are terrific. Tom and I are planning for Bob to give us (mainly me) a clinic when he has some spare time.

Thanks Greg!

I'll be working on that project this weekend. They're calling for lots of rain so the old garage shouldn't be too cold.

-slim

Dave K.

Uh-oh...someone trusted Slim with the keys to the forum?  Better keep an eye on him, Snickers.

BandOGuy

You know what I've missed?
I'll tell you what I've missed.
I've heard humor about how many........it takes to change a light bulb. But why is there no humor about how many ......... it takes to change a LED?
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: BandOGuy on December 19, 2013, 08:12:23 PM
You know what I've missed?
I'll tell you what I've missed.
I've heard humor about how many........it takes to change a light bulb. But why is there no humor about how many ......... it takes to change a LED?

Because LEDs last so much longer. considering they last 50,000 - 80,000 hours!

-slim

reklein72

I'd like some tips on soldering 1x2 mm LEDS. I think  I'm in over my head. Do I need one of your specialty soldering sets? Bill in Idaho

dougkast

Slim...how do you bend the tubing for a goose neck green shade door light without kinking the tubing?

I have Micromark's Metal Forming Plier set but ended up kinking the tubing. Don't want to continue kinking...then I'll need to buy more from you...LOL.

Metal Forming Pliers (Set of 4)

I tried using my 1/2" Electrician's EMT bender but it's too big.

dougkast

OK...I just found the Dutchman's Forum Topic on Railroad-Line showing exactly that!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35486

Is this the best way to bend it?

Slim Jerkins

Doug

I just saw this now. Three months late. Now sure why I didn't see it before 'coz I check in on the forum everyday but don't always post.

Anyways - Yes, I use the NT-302 bending jig. However, I use it differently than you have pictured. I run my wires through the shade and tubing BEFORE bending the tubing. It's much easier to push on a rope through a straight pipe than a bent one if you know what I mean.

-slim