Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

The peaked roof is an excellent alteration. I did Saulena's in N-scale and the stairs were just not doable for me so I altered them.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Dave K.

I've been following daily, George, just not posting much due to the database error issues. She's coming along great. I love the heavily weathered walls...the salt air has not been kind to Saulena's. Now I've got a hankerin' for some salt water taffy. :P

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Thank you for the supportive comments, Bob and Dave. Jan, nice job with the N-scale version. The steps in 1/87th beat me up, but I finally got them on after several hours of working with it.  Quite a challenge!  I can't imagine trying the same thing in 1/160.
--George

Opa George

The basic Saulenas structure itself is done, sans weathering, roof tar, signs, minor details, etc.  I want to get the next structure in place before those steps so that I can work with it all as a unit.  Here are some pics:

In addition to the roof tower, I cobbled together a side entrance and rooftop access from this and other kit scraps.  Also added a support column to the front overhang.

Another view.

It is just sitting on the front of my layout for pics--not its chosen location.
I have already begun distressing and bracing the walls of the next structure: the jewelry store with upstairs dancehall (Bar Mills Bail Bonds).
--George

Janbouli

Looks great George , the side entrance works well , and I love the curtains.

Opa George

Thanks much, Jan.
More rain here today, so more opportunity to get ahead on the next part.
Below are the walls of the jewelry store with bracing.  I followed the instructions closely.

A light coat of A & I.  I did not spend a lot of time on distressing the walls this time. The building should be in relatively good repair--maybe mostly just a fading, sea-salt worn paint job. But also, a lot of walls overlap, and there will be plenty of signs, so a lot of that work would have been covered anyway.  The alcohol is still drying, so some wet areas are still evident.

And the walls sponge painted.  I used acrylic craft paint--Nicole's brand "Scuba."  Corner trim (not shown) is white.

I also spray-painted the reverse of all walls flat black.

--George

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Opa George

Added windows, window dressings, corner trim and got the walls up. This part of the assembly was extra easy since I am using the sidewalk base. In addition, the tabs and interlocking walls helped keep it all square to start. I still used square clamps while it dried.
Here is the basic shell assembled.

I want to point out how easy it is to get a wall upside down. The small inset wall with the window, on the alley side, can be deceptive if you are not paying attention to the direction of the clapboard.  I installed the window and window dressing, and actually installed the wall upside down, mostly because I was mistakenly putting the tab slot at the top, to match the other walls.  This is incorrect, and the tab slot goes at the bottom. Fortunately I caught it before the glue set.

I set the two structures of this build in place next to each other. Not yet glued. Just wanted to check out the basic look of both structures together.  Here is the front:

Different angle view:

And the alley side:

So far, so good.
--George

PRR Modeler

Really nice modeling George.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thank you, Curt.
Today I tackled construction and installation of the cornice. I really liked the detail in the Saulenas Tavern cornice, but this one is Saulenas on steroids.  Very detailed--but it went together easily, although not quickly

Artie noted in the instructions that he assembled it prior to painting--fearing that paint would cover up the finely etched guide lines for the two layers of decorative panels. But the possibility of having a multi-colored, detailed cornice drew me to the dark side of ignoring Artie's notes.  I am happy to report it turned out well.

Below are the various components painted via rattle-can, with some of the cornice pieces under construction. I used Rustoleum colors, and the fine enamel spray did not cover the guidelines, fortunately. I did have to cut apart one of the laser sheets, to separate two different panel types, but that went easily enough.

I installed the corbels after the panels were mounted on the building, but before installing the top plates. I had a minor issue, in that the mounting holes for the corbels did not line up as I thought they should have. I worked around that by shaving off the tiny tab on the corbel and placing them where I wanted them. (apologies for the blurry image--got too close with the camera)

I moved on to staircase construction. As this is a closed stairwell, the kit included a spacer for the stair stringers--a huge improvement over fussing with the staircase on the Saulenas building.  This took no time at all.  I spray painted the completed stairs white.

All for now.
--George

Janbouli

The corbels and panels look great , what a nice kit.

postalkarl

Hey George:

looking good.

Karl

Opa George

Thanks, Jan and Karl--Bar Mills really went the extra mile with this kit. I'm really enjoying the build.

Here is the structure with stairwell, news-stand and store entrance installed. The store entrance and news stand involved painting the different overlays contrasting colors, then putting them together (they are self-stick components) for the installation. The biggest step is planning out what colors to use.

Shot from the street corner entrance.  I still have pilasters to install on the entrance. I did not spend a lot of time on interior details or even lettering on the windows.  The entrance will be covered by a security gate--one of the unique features of this kit--so most details will not be visible.

Another view.  Although this looks nearly finished, in actually it is only about 3/4ths done.  There are a LOT of goodies in this kit to construct yet, plus I have some of my own variations planned.

Note: the end wall you see above adjoins Saulenas Tavern, so has no detail.  In fact I need to trim the cornice so it will sit flush to its sister building.

Stay tuned.
--George