Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 17, 2020, 09:22:32 PM
John,

Not sure what you are planning for metal roofing but I can grab a pic of my nephew's barn tomorrow morning.  It was originally my grandfather's and later my father's farm and the metal roof was installed prior to WWII.  My dad helped with the roofing when it was installed.  The metal roof has been painted more times than I can remember or count.  That is why it has lasted so long. IMO, the ribbed seam metal roofing from C C Crow replicates it well.

Jerry

I would love to have a picture of it.  I'm planning on the metal roofing sold by Wild West Models.  It is the same material that I used on my Locomotive Works build.

By the way, I just saw your location is listed as UP State New York.  Are you anywhere near Batavia, NY.  My wife's father is from there and her Grandfather owned the local John Deere Dealership.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

John,

Nowhere near Batavia.  I'm about fifteen miles north of Binghamton, a place nobody knows the location of.  Once I tell someone Binghamton is on I-81 halfway between Syracuse and Scranton the light goes on. ;D

I don't know the technical name for the style of roofing on the barn.  It is similar to standing seam roofing.  The photos I have seen of standing seam roofing show it as being attached to clips underneath the roofing.  This roofing looks essentially the same but is nailed in place using nails through the ribs.  Originally this type of roofing used ribbed shank roofing nails with a lead seal under the head of the nail.  The nail was snugged against the rib just enough to deform the lead enough to form a seal.  In later years a neoprene or similar washer was under the head of the nail to seal out water.  More recently this type of roofing uses screws with a neoprene or similar seal under the head.  Prior to the changeover to screws the roofing had to have the nails driven back in every few years as the expansion and contraction from weather would work the nails loose.  If the nails worked loose or completely out a strong wind would peel the roofing off the boards underneath.  This roofing usually came in sheets 26" wide, with the overlay between sheets they effectively covered 24".  There were three ribs per sheet, the overlay rib was slightly wider to cover the rib of the sheet next to it.  This type came in lengths from 6' to 16' by two foot delineations.  This roofing was offered in both aluminum and galvanized steel.  The roofing on the barn is galvanized, painted multiple times.  The roofing on the machinery shed is aluminum.  My dad and I salvaged that from a neighbor's barn that had blown down in a storm.  In true farmer fashion, the entire machinery shed was built with salvaged materials; used telephone poles, rafters from a demo in Binghamton, and roof boards were old silo staves.

The Builders in Scale roofing has about 18" between the ribs, so a three rib panel is roughly 3' wide.  This measurement is more representative of newer roofing panels.  The metal roofing I used on my shed and barn extension are this size.  I have added pics of the BIS (C C Crow) roofing and a small structure where I used this roofing.  I looked for a building I did that had two sizes of the roofing, i.e., 10' and 8' panels because this roofing looks better at least IMO when there is a seam across the roof.  A quick search did not turn up this building, my organization isn't always the best. 

Jerry

jerryrbeach

John,

This is a building in Brisben, NY that I have posted before.  The roofing on the right side is the roofing I have been describing.  In the closeup you can see that every second rib is wider where it overlaps the previous sheet. 

I'll try to get to my nephew's this afternoon for some shots of his barn, though I am not sure they will be any better to see what this type of roofing looks like.
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 18, 2020, 09:51:31 AM
John,

This is a building in Brisben, NY that I have posted before.  The roofing on the right side is the roofing I have been describing.  In the closeup you can see that every second rib is wider where it overlaps the previous sheet. 

I'll try to get to my nephew's this afternoon for some shots of his barn, though I am not sure they will be any better to see what this type of roofing looks like.

Jerry

Thank you for the pictures.  The roofing material that I was going to use looks like the roofing on the left side of the barn. The right side looks like the material that is supplied in the kit.  I'm going to do some experimenting with coloring it and see if I can make it look like this roofing. The extra pictures may help if you get a chance.  I will post some pictures this evening if I have any luck coloring this plastic material.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few progress pictures from yesterday on the Whispering Falls Barn. I painted all the wires in the ceiling of the loft so they blend in with the rafters when you look in through the loft doors. They were not very visible but I wanted to make sure before the roof goes on.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Also, gave the lamps that were visible a coat of black paint.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next, started adding the rafters.

The new squares that I bought about a month ago really worked great for this task.  I saw them in the MicroMart catalog and thought the wider base and second surface would be really useful. I can't tell you how many ways they have helped with holding models square while the glue dries. They came as a set of 3 different sizes.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Not trying to be picky, but you need to spread some chaff on that haymow floor.  While the main floor might be freshly swept, the area around the bales would have all the short pieces that fell out of the bales when they were put into the mow.

Pics of the roofs at my nephew's are coming, probably later this evening once I have a chance to sort and edit them.
Jerry

tom.boyd.125

John,
This barn build is really something !
Like how you took your family dairy farm story to be part of this project.
Glad you put the roof on before the snow comes tonight.
Can't wait to see all the lights on.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really something, John!

I agree with Jerry - carrying a bale of this sort of stuff over to the pigs area without dropping any is pretty much mission impossible.

I'm really enjoying watching your family farm taking shape.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 18, 2020, 11:11:26 AM
John,

Not trying to be picky, but you need to spread some chaff on that haymow floor.  While the main floor might be freshly swept, the area around the bales would have all the short pieces that fell out of the bales when they were put into the mow.

Pics of the roofs at my nephew's are coming, probably later this evening once I have a chance to sort and edit them.

Jerry

I plan on making it really look like a barn in the areas that are visible once the roof cards go on. I added a few bales of hay just to see what they would look like as I was building. I looked at the roofing material that came with the kit and it doesn't look like the roof you posted this morning.  I will post a picture of it later tonight.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 18, 2020, 12:51:35 PM
John,
This barn build is really something !
Like how you took your family dairy farm story to be part of this project.
Glad you put the roof on before the snow comes tonight.
Can't wait to see all the lights on.
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for the kind words - this has been a real fun build, so far, and I'm just getting to the detailing. I also am looking forward to seeing all the lights on - so far I have only test them at 6-8 lights at a time. So far there are 22 LED's inside the barn on all three floors. So far our snow has been mostly rain.  It can stay that way. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on October 18, 2020, 01:44:56 PM
Looking really something, John!

I agree with Jerry - carrying a bale of this sort of stuff over to the pigs area without dropping any is pretty much mission impossible.

I'm really enjoying watching your family farm taking shape.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along and the encouragement. As I responded to Jerry's post, there will be lots of hay both fresh and used on the floor of the barn when I get through detailing it.  I have just added a few things, here and there, as I was building for visualization. I'm modeling the barn in the fall time so there will be a lot of activity with hay being stored away for the winter. Today, I was adding roof rafters.  I can't believed how many there are in a building this size.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have been working on a few sign concepts for the farm. 

Here are a couple from last night.

What do you think?
John Siekirk