Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Everything looks great John. Curious about why two colors?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on October 15, 2020, 11:26:59 AM
I can't decide if I want to knock some of the fuzz off the barn siding or leave it on?

Do you have a spare piece of wood?  I wonder what would happen if you carefully 'burned off' the fuzz, would you get an interesting result from that process?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Quote from: S&S RR on October 15, 2020, 11:24:54 AM
Jerry - I have new hay "greener in color", going into the barn for the winter and the last few bales of last years hay "browner in color", on it's way to the cows.  Did I get that right?

John,

You got that right.  One thing to consider is that light, especially sunlight bleaches the green color from the bales as they age turning them to the yellow color.  Also, hay cut and baled later in the season will be more yellow than green as the grass ripens.  My point?  Unless you are modeling summer on your layout any hay exposed to light, i.e., in the doorways should be more yellowish while hay further from the light would hold its green color longer.  In my experience, hay starts to bleach within a month or two of being baled and stored.  Within probably 4-5 months every bale in the barn will be yellow where it is exposed to light, with the parts of the bales not exposed to light will still be green, albeit usually somewhat lighter green than when first baled.  HTH
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 15, 2020, 03:38:55 PM
Everything looks great John. Curious about why two colors?

Curt

Excellent question. I actually went back and forth on this and turned it into a visualization experiment.  Dario, the kit manufacturer, made his pilot model with the barn extension or addition with horizontal siding with the boards close together. Dario painted his white to give it a contrast and really make it look like an addition. The story behind it is that the extension is a workshop and office. Greg (see the referenced build thread) painted his extension red and used the vertical siding - the same as the main barn.

On my layout this barn and farm scene is going to be up in the line of site just as a train leaves the big trestle so I didn't want it to look like one giant barn. And I liked the idea of the barn addition being an office and repair shop for the extended operation.  Your question prompted me to take the barn assembly off the bench and give it a visualization test before I add the roof cards.  In the first picture the barn is sitting on the baseboard but also on the bench cookies because of the wires, which make it an inch to high.

In this second picture I removed the baseboard and just used the bench cookies - this puts the barn within a 1/4 inch of it's final height.  Notice how you will be able to look through the barn and see the mountains and forest on the other side of the valley. You will also be able to look through the barn through the second level from the front view.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on October 15, 2020, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 15, 2020, 11:26:59 AM
I can't decide if I want to knock some of the fuzz off the barn siding or leave it on?

Do you have a spare piece of wood?  I wonder what would happen if you carefully 'burned off' the fuzz, would you get an interesting result from that process?

dave

Dave

I will try it on a spare piece of wood but I don't think I would be willing to get near this with a flame no mater how good it looks.  I really like the look of the small pieces of wood splinttering[size=78%] [/size][/size]off.  It actually was a result of the A&I and the drying process. I purposely left it on through the paint process because I knew I could remove it at any time if I decided I didn't like it.  I'm still going back and forth on how natural it looks.[size=78%]
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 15, 2020, 06:50:18 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 15, 2020, 11:24:54 AM
Jerry - I have new hay "greener in color", going into the barn for the winter and the last few bales of last years hay "browner in color", on it's way to the cows.  Did I get that right?

John,

You got that right.  One thing to consider is that light, especially sunlight bleaches the green color from the bales as they age turning them to the yellow color.  Also, hay cut and baled later in the season will be more yellow than green as the grass ripens.  My point?  Unless you are modeling summer on your layout any hay exposed to light, i.e., in the doorways should be more yellowish while hay further from the light would hold its green color longer.  In my experience, hay starts to bleach within a month or two of being baled and stored.  Within probably 4-5 months every bale in the barn will be yellow where it is exposed to light, with the parts of the bales not exposed to light will still be green, albeit usually somewhat lighter green than when first baled.  HTH

Jerry

Thank you so much for your input. You described perfectly the pictures I have in my mind from my childhood. My model will be set in a fall setting where the last few bails are being used up from last year and the new hay is coming off the fields and put into the barn for the winter. I'm thinking of having a scene where a load of hay is going up into the barn on the opposite end from the pictures above.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

Jerry

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I added the office in the barn addition and started some interior detail on the Whispering Falls build, today.  I also glued the main building down to the base board and assembled the front loading dock for the G. Wiliker's build. I'll take some more progress pictures when I get a little farther along.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The roof cards are cut, painted and dry fit for the Whispering Falls Build. The roof cards supplied are white cardboard - so I painted the topside flat black,  and the underside that will be visible when you look through the loft doors, khaki. The khaki makes it look like wood up in the top of the barn.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few more pictures from different angles.

The underside of the roof cards.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next up, the roof rafters. Dario supplies triangular roof braces with the kit.  I installed them before I added the rafters so I can dry fit the roof and miss them with the rafter placement.  In the instructions Dario puts the roof rafters on first. In my mind it was easier to do it this way. I will take a picture this afternoon, after the glue dries.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Love the contrast between the main barn and the addition, both in foundation and siding.  Will you be using different roofing on the two as well?
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 17, 2020, 07:41:49 PM
John,

Love the contrast between the main barn and the addition, both in foundation and siding.  Will you be using different roofing on the two as well?

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words.  Yes - I will be using shingles on the main barn and metal roofing on the addition. The kit comes with a plastic material for the addition roof that looks like the modern metal roofing in use today.  I will be using the metal roofing - well weathered - that was traditionally used on barn roofs in the 1940's time frame. I'm trying to make this look like a barn that was built around the 1920's and both the original barn and the addition are ready for a paint job in 1949.

I'm working on some signs for the operation tonight.  I think a name change is coming so stay tuned.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Not sure what you are planning for metal roofing but I can grab a pic of my nephew's barn tomorrow morning.  It was originally my grandfather's and later my father's farm and the metal roof was installed prior to WWII.  My dad helped with the roofing when it was installed.  The metal roof has been painted more times than I can remember or count.  That is why it has lasted so long. IMO, the ribbed seam metal roofing from C C Crow replicates it well.
Jerry