Bar Mills Seckler's Cold Storage Background Flat for the A&S

Started by ReadingBob, December 26, 2019, 02:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

WOW Bob, at your progress it should be complete tomorrow!
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 26, 2019, 04:03:06 PM
Bob,

You know I'll be following along on this adventure. It also looks like you are off to a great start and it looks also like you are almost halfway through.

It will look good on the Summit level.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom!  Summit!  I couldn't think of that word so I used uppers instead.   :o  I hope it ends up worthy of being displayed at eye level.  Well....eye level for some of us.   ;D  ;D  ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: EricQuebec on December 26, 2019, 04:44:12 PM
Nicely done.
I will follow your effort on this one
Eric

Thank you Eric!  I had the opportunity to examine some of your work up close and personal last time I visited the A&S.  You did an outstanding job on those two builds you did for Tom.  They're simply wonderful.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on December 26, 2019, 05:37:34 PM
Fantastic start, Bob. Nice point-by-point to show where/how to watch for tricky areas. Always appreciated.  I am interested in your craft paint/water putty powder technique.
--George

Thanks for following along George!  I think the paint/water putty powder technique is really just a lazy mans way of getting texture on the walls.  Heck, the standard method is to mix the powder with water, stipple it on, let it dry and then paint it after it dries.  I figured why not just mix the powder with the paint and stipple it on.  I've done something similar in the past when painting sidewalks to give the paint just a tad bit of texture.  I just used a little less powder for the sidewalks.   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 26, 2019, 05:41:22 PM
Looking good, Bob.

I thought this kit from Bar Mills looked like a real hit.  Very nearly bought one, but have so limited space left for large structures on my layout I just couldn't make it fit.  I thought this one would sell very well.  Enjoying your progress along with all your little tips!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the comments and for following along Mark!  Much appreciated.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Janbouli on December 26, 2019, 05:47:04 PM
Great start Bob , thanx for the very clear photo's.

Thanks Jan and you're quite welcome!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 26, 2019, 06:32:54 PM
WOW Bob, at your progress it should be complete tomorrow!

I'm afraid it's all an optical illusion Curt.  ;D  Having the week before X-Mas off and the house to myself for the first four days allowed me to get a lot done in a short period.  Now it's back to earning a living so progress will slow down quite a bit.  :(  I figured that was like practice for retirement.  I think I'll be able to handle it.   ;D  ;D  ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Jerry

Bob a really nice start.  An a great tutorial go along with it.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

EricQuebec

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 27, 2019, 08:04:28 AM
Quote from: EricQuebec on December 26, 2019, 04:44:12 PM
Nicely done.
I will follow your effort on this one
Eric

Thank you Eric!  I had the opportunity to examine some of your work up close and personal last time I visited the A&S.  You did an outstanding job on those two builds you did for Tom.  They're simply wonderful.  :D
Thank you Bob :)

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi Bob,
Looks like another amazing model in the works.  Please tell that Tom guy that he's very lucky to have a friend like you building models for him.

;D ;D ::)

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on December 27, 2019, 09:21:19 AM
Bob a really nice start.  An a great tutorial go along with it.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  More updates to come soon I hope.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on January 10, 2020, 12:05:48 PM
Hi Bob,
Looks like another amazing model in the works.  Please tell that Tom guy that he's very lucky to have a friend like you building models for him.

;D ;D ::)

Thanks Bruce!  I'm actually lucky to have a place to put some of the stuff I build.  Beats storing it in a box in the garage.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 26, 2019, 03:13:25 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on December 26, 2019, 02:35:14 PM
Neat structure Bob.....I'll be looking in.  :)

Thanks Greg!  I hope this one doesn't take me as long as Avram's did.   ;D ;D ;D

Doesn't appear to be.....you're moving at warp speed (or is that Greg speed) on this one.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's looking just great so far. I'll be following along.

Karl

ReadingBob

Okay, time for an update.  I have been working on this one but I just haven't taken the time to upload pictures and update the thread.   :-[

There isn't a ton of strip wood with this one so I didn't bother getting out the little staining tub I usually use to soak it.  Instead I just brushed on some Hunterline Light Gray Weathering Mix.

To keep track of the different sizes of strip wood I sorted it by size, bundled it and labeled it using some blue painters tape.

Next up I removed the clapboard walls from their carrier sheets using a single edge razor blade.

Then I squared up the edges by running them over an emery board.  This is a habit I picked up from Tom (ACL1504) but it's also mentioned in the instructions.  The laser doesn't produce a perfect 90 degree cut.  It's close but off just a wee bit.

I applied bracing by running a small bead of glue down the bracing material first.

Then I spread it out with my finger tip.  I have a paper towel handy so I can immediately wipe off my finger tip after I do this so I don't transfer glue to the surface of the wall or anything else.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net