Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Welcome to Volume 3 of the Superior & Seattle Railroad Build Thread. Volume 2 was getting close to the 200 page limit so I decided to start volume 3.

Link to volume 4:

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=5946.msg163471;topicseen#new

Link to volume 2:

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=2650.0

Link to volume 1:

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=49.0

Index

Volume 3

Vol. 3  Page 1 -  Control Panel Construction for the Phase IV expansion.
Vol. 3  Page 2 -  Superior Yard Benchwork, track work and control panel construction.
Vol. 3  Page 15 - FSM Fox Run Milling build start continues until page 60
Vol. 3  Page 16 - FSM Swakhammer's Welding build start Continues until page 50
Vol. 3  Page 31 - Avram's Bakery build arrives on the S&S RR from Bob Butts
Vol. 3  Page 48 - Eagles's Nest Yard Control Panel build
Vol. 3  Page 50 - 2020 Build Challenge FSM 145 Coal Tower make it to the layout
Vol. 3  Page 52 - Brick Roundhouse build start (15 stalls in two buildings)
Vol. 3  Page 59 - Fox Run Milling makes it to the layout
Vol. 3  Page 61 - FSM G. Wiliker's build start
Vol. 3  Page 68 - Wayne Olson's boat builds
Vol. 3  Page 82 - Dan Raymond's vehicle builds arrive on the S&S RR
Vol. 3  Page 85 - Scale Rail Miniatures Whispering Falls Build Start
Vol. 3  Page 87 - Brick Roundhouse Final Workbench Pictures and the move to the layout
Vol. 3  Page 89 - Brick Roundhouse Installation on layout start
Vol. 3  Page 90 - Whispering Falls site plan start
Vol. 3  Page 94 - Layout plan drawing update
Vol. 3  Page 99 - G. Wiliker's build continues
Vol. 3  Page 100 - Whispering Falls build becomes Beach Farms and continues
Vol. 3  Page 103 - LED lighting for the Beach Farms Barn.
Vol. 3  Page 105 - The interior of the Beach Farms Barn.
Vol. 3  Page 137 - Beach Farms Out buildings
Vol. 3  Page 140 - Beach Farms Scenery
Vol. 3  Page 151 - Beach Farms diorama installation on the layout.
Vol. 3  Page 165 - Beach Farms finished pictures.
Vol. 3  Page 168 - Brownsville Depot build continued.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

As we start Volume 3 of this build thread I'm working on the electronics for the Phase IV expansion of the layout. There will be a total of four control panels for this large yard. I'm using the Barrett Hill Touch control switches to control the turnouts.

I'm also working on an update to my track plan and will be posting it along with an update to my layout at a glance page with all the new information about the layout.  This will be a project for the time I spend at the S&S RR Northern Headquarters. I just don't seem to take the time to do it when I can be working on the layout.

I'm also getting the workshop in order and will soon be starting a new build.  The beautiful yellow box for FSM's Fox Run Milling is on the workbench. I have six FSM kits, for The Eagles Nest Yard, and the SWRM Brick Roundhouse for the Superior Yard, next up on my build list.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

You have been very busy as well my friend. I love the yard and control panel. Fantastic job sir. Looking forward to more.

Well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 28, 2019, 02:14:23 PM
John,

You have been very busy as well my friend. I love the yard and control panel. Fantastic job sir. Looking forward to more.

Well done.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the kind words and the inspiration.  Your build thread has been a constant source of inspiration over the years.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The first control panel in Phase IV is powered. The track that it controls is the West Superior Yard which is visible above the panel in the picture. The moldings are all put in with screws, just in-case there are changes.  ;)   And also to remove them for staining and finishing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you study the schematic you can see how the power districts are setup. There is a switch on the lefts side of the panel to turn each power district on and off.  The third column of switches is for controlling the power for the upper level in this area.  The future Phase V expansion.
John Siekirk

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

Nice looking panel John.  You will love the Barrett-Hill switches.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 28, 2019, 05:18:43 PM
John, how long on average is a power district?

dave

Dave

I broke up the layout into power districts based more on function than a particular length of track.  But to answer your question I picked an average power district in the yard and it was 40 feet of track.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on July 28, 2019, 06:07:12 PM
Nice looking panel John.  You will love the Barrett-Hill switches.

Thank you Steve.  So far I really like the way the Barrett-Hill switches are working and the ease of installation.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the work area around the control panel.  All of the connection boards are mounted in the top of the cabinet, so I found another use for the cushions from my gazebo chairs. A laying down job - doesn't get any better than that.  I'll post a couple pictures of the connection boards while you can still see them. The wires and label tags will hide them before all the wiring is done.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is the junctions for the touch switches.  The wires you see are attached to the touch switches under the control panel surface.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As you can see I label the incoming and out going wires and the connection point. All the labels come in handy when trouble shooting is required.
John Siekirk