Great Lakes Lighthouse Build

Started by carl b, January 01, 2020, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

I'm running out of superlative's, Carl!

Surprising, stunning, staggering, shocking, startling, stupefying, shattering, sensational, spectacular and stupendous!

Cheers, mark.

carl b

Sheesh, thank you Mark, you are too kind!
Carl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

carl b

Carl

tom.boyd.125

Carl,
Beautiful modeling, excellent use of jigs, outstanding !!! Thanks for sharing !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

carl b

Appreciate your comments Tom. Thank you!
Carl

carl b

With the shale in place, I decided to reduce the sandy cliff area, so I added plaster and carved it around the corner, then painted... I laid down real sand as a base coat, it's too coarse & dark as is. The top layer of sand is "linen" colored tile grout, shaken thru a tea strainer....

Next I planted two different color tall grasses, and add some rock debris at the bottom..

I added more grass, clipping off the too long pieces, then a little darker beige grout in random places.

Painted the bottom of the future lake water, with two coats of the three colors shown. This is very shallow water, so no attempt was made to mimic any real depth.

I added to the sidewalk I previously laid.  I need a stairway down to the "beach". Two platforms first. Began laying that out....

Two sets of steps completed....

Hand railings installed.....

To disguise the DC power jack, I enclosed the area just behind the stairwell with wood and pilings. Later this will be covered with the false top and two pilings, with sand applied over the entire piece.

Till next time...
Carl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Wow!  That looks fantastic!   :D  :D  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

sdrees

Let me say it again. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Drees
SP RR

carl b

Thank you Curt, Bob D., Bob B. and Steve!

Glad you all like my project....getting closer to the finish....
Carl

Jerry

Perfect scenery for the building.  Your usual awesome work my friend.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

carl b

Appreciate your comment Jerry. Thank you!
Carl

carl b

I installed a row of pilings on both sides of the block wall area in back (actually the front of the building). This will frame it up square, and provide additional glue area. I finished painting the wall, and slid it down into place.

The prototype also has a very large ships' chain along the sidewalk. I used 3/32" styrene tube for posts and some leftover chain from another project.

A 2-rail iron pipe railing surrounds the entire property next to the rock cliffs. I built this jig to hold .016." brass at the appropriate spacing, and soldered the pieces together.

Installing the railing was a real challenge, because some areas under the posts were solid plaster. 

I made a small batch of Scenic Express Supertrees, then picked the most natural one. Big mess of course. It'll be all by itself in the corner, I don't have room for three!

To prep the area for water, a layer of Liquitex varnish was poured on to seal the paint. Added some loose rock and driftwood first.

The area on top of the block wall was dangerous for wandering patrons, so I found some Faller iron fencing in my inventory, and installed that straight across the top.

The water begins with the Dave Frary method of Mod Podge application. Many coats ahead. Then a couple coats of varnish to eliminate any "stickiness".

Till next time.........the final pix...
Carl