PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Bruce Oberleitner

What an awesome modeling job!  Thanks for sharing it on the forum.

;D ;D ;D

postalkarl

HeySteve:

All I can say is WOWIE!!!!! what a beautiful job you are doing on this kit. It is one of my favorite FSM kits and yes I have one.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

I added the bumper to the track. This is from Peco. I sprayed it with gray paint and weathered it with some chalks.

I started working on the roof of the canopy. I wanted some areas where the tarpaper had worn away exposing some wood so I cut some pieces of the cardstock and added wood filler.

I decided not to use the construction paper included with this kit. I wanted to experiment with some black tissue paper for tarpaper. You can see where I tore the paper before I installed it.

I glued the paper down with some white glue spread out thin with my finger.

I covered the whole roof and added some tears to the paper with the blunt end of some tweezers.

I added the canopy supports, the framework and the 86 rafter tails.

I knew it was going to be challenging to glue the canopy to the platform. It's very top heavy so I drilled out the center of the posts, cut down some T pins and glued them in the holes. I used foam for the base of my diorama so I wanted the pins to go through the platform and into the foam.

I stuck the platform into a piece of foam to work on it. I also ended up painting the paper again with some Apple Barrel Pavement after this picture was taken. The primer I originally used started to get some sheen to it once I handled it a bit.

I weathered the roofing paper with some chalks and glued the canopy in place.

I'll finish detailing the roof once I installed the signage.

I took a lot of inspiration for this build from Brian Nolan's version of the kit. I liked the office he added to the left side of the structure using a Master Creations Office kit. My next step is building a small building in a similar location. I won't be using the Master Creations kit only because I already have one very close to where this kit will be installed on the layout.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

engine909

Mr. Nolan would be proud to have his name mentioned with your outstanding modeling.
ed

vinceg

Wow - those rafter tails are perfect. I mean perfect. Amazing. Love the NBW castings, too. Great stuff, thx.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Wonderful modeling Steve!  Simply wonderful!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Apple Barrel Pavement you say?  I need to get me some of that.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

craftsmankits

Beautiful build.  Thanks for sharing, and please keep us updated.

Mark

S&S RR

Fantastic modeling!  I think it would be more prototypical if one of the rafter tails was a little warped or slightly out of place. ;)  Great work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

engine909

I appreciate John's comment on rafter tails. If you do just one it looks like you screwed up. So how many do you do? Always a modeling dilemma.

cuse

That is some really fine modeling...even the tiniest details like NBW castings hold up to close up pics. Really great!!

John

vinceg

Steve,

I remember when Chippy Hollow first came out. I saw the ad in MR and decided not buy it because I thought it was not interesting....too toy-like. Your build seems different. Looks very real and plausible. Really beautiful job.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee