Master Creations Watt-Moreland Waxworks

Started by Opa George, March 30, 2020, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

I've been working on the windows and trim.  Below are some progress shots.

Trim is taking quite a while, as there is a lot of it.  The double hung windows have been somewhat challenging as neither the pre-cut acetate nor the lower sash fit the laser cut openings. All require quite a bit of filing to get a nice fit. But it is worth the effort.  That is one of the few places I have noticed a less than perfect fit on any of the laser cut parts.  So I can't complain much about that.

I have taken to cutting apart the carrier sheets, where possible, to paint the tiny parts en masse.  The corbels are a good example. Also, when working with them, I am only cutting out enough for a small section at at time as they are very easily lost.

Soon time to start the mansard roof!
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey George:

Now there's A paint job. Very nicely done.

Karl

Opa George

Thanks, Karl. I really need to get it outside for a few pics in natural sunlight. My old 35mm camera is struggling with focus issues anymore.

George

Opa George

I finished the main building trim, with the exception of the brick panels on the upper parts of the chimneys.  Now I know why the instructions said to delay finishing the brickwork until the roof was done.  I began the roof, and getting the base in place over the chimneys and the tower was a challenge.  It would have been nearly impossible with the added brickwork.

Much time was spent in prep-work on all the various roof structural parts, prior to assembly.  The upright dormer sides are paired with upright supports laser cut to accommodate the curve of the mansard roof.  There are 28 supports in all, and all are very tightly fitting tab-in-slot installation.  My advice is to sand the tabs slightly, remove any burrs and exercise a lot of patience.

There is a top framework that fits over the uprights, and also fits tab-in-slot to align them.  I made a point of installing the top frame before the glue set on the uprights, as a good bit of wiggling was needed to get them all properly in place.  In the entire build to date, this has been the trickiest step. But I am happy with the result, seen better on the last photo below.

Here are progress pics of all sides:

A few notes on the pic below:
1. I advise not installing the rooftop finials until you are ready for finishing steps.  I have bumped the finial on the monolith nearly every time I move the main structure on or off the foundation base for work.  It shows it!
2. You can see a slight irregularity in the top roof frame, at the point where it is joined to the end dormer uprights.  After a lot of attempts at trying to fix it, I gave in to "good enough," as the glue was setting on all the other joints.   I will simply need to sand that a bit. I don't think it will cause big problems, and will be hidden by the installed roof.
3. You may notice a curve in the left porch column (notwithstanding that it is not yet glued to the dock--the entire main structure is still free of the dock until I finish the roof).  Each column is made up of 5 pieces.  I assembled them several days ago, and when it came time to install the porch roof, could not find one.  Drat!  Where could it be?  Believing it had accidentally dropped to the floor at some point, I carefully crept off of my work stool to find it.  Like Ralphie looking for his glasses in the snow, I found it underfoot, completely crushed.  What you see is my attempt to cobble it back together.  I think I pulled it off---maybe?

Here is a good straight-on view of the support structure for the mansard roof.

View from the top showing all 28 supports in place (4 for each of the 7 dormers) and the top framework holding it all in alignment, ready for more work.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Nice job, George. Also, very impressive engineering on the kit. Lots o' work went into the design of that baby....
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Mark Dalrymple

Really enjoying this thread, George.

You are doing sensational work - and its paying off.

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Thanks very much, Curt, Vince and Mark!

Indeed, this kit shows the most complicated design and engineering of any kit I have yet attempted.  I got the roof on last evening and will post some pics shortly. All of the fighting with the roof supports to get them in place was worth the effort--I am very pleased with the result.

--Opa George

Opa George

The waxworks is finally "under roof."  Below are two progress shots.  I still need to trim out the dormers and there are lots of small details to add, so for now, the main structure is still not glued to the dock and foundation.

You can also see that I bumped that darn finial again!  Next build, no finials until the finishing steps!

This view shows the top roof a little better.

Opa George

Mark Dalrymple

PaulS

Very impressive George and it is coming along quite beautifully.
Thanks very much for sharing your build of this kit with all of us here.   Don't see many of these built, let alone a build thread where we can follow along.
Outstanding,
--Paul

Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey George: