Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 29, 2020, 05:59:10 PM
John I forgot to mention that Greg found a few mistakes when building this an noted them in his build.

If that helps you any.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for mentioning this.  I have to email Dario to get the *.pdf files with the changes.  Your post reminded me to do that.  I have been reading through Greg's thread and taking notes.  It's a great "modeling project" when I'm at my cabin.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Once the baseboard was level - I started playing with different structure placement ideas and elevation levels.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I really wanted to have a view of the lower level of the barn and the through the doors view of interior detail.

Here is the lower level view.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The track will be below grade as it comes off the trestle.  Appropriate, drainage will be provided to channel the water into the mountain valley. A siding will service the cattle pins on the left and will have chutes and gates to manage the cattle into the stock cars. On the right will be the horse barn and corals.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The view of the white barn extension will be visible only in those photographs taken from the cab of the locomotive as it approaches the trestle. The backdrop will be the mountains on the other side of the aisle.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Now for the placement of the farm house.  The first question is which direction should the front of the house be? Towards the barn like Dario did it, or facing the cliff with the front porch overlooking the town of Sellios?  I have the cardboard template positioned with the porch overlooking the town in this picture.

John Siekirk

vinceg

Following along, John. Really anxious to see this come together.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on July 29, 2020, 10:34:55 PM
Following along, John. Really anxious to see this come together.

Vince

Thank you for following along.  I'm real excited about this build. Am I doing okay describing the picture that is in my head with the words and photographs? In the past I would post a picture of the site and then the finished scene in the site, so this part of the thread is all new.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on July 29, 2020, 09:15:01 PM
Quote from: Jerry on July 29, 2020, 05:59:10 PM
John I forgot to mention that Greg found a few mistakes when building this an noted them in his build.

If that helps you any.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for mentioning this.  I have to email Dario to get the *.pdf files with the changes.  Your post reminded me to do that.  I have been reading through Greg's thread and taking notes.  It's a great "modeling project" when I'm at my cabin.

I got the revised drawings from Dario at light speed.  Wow he is fast at responding to emails. I'm really looking forward to building this kit.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

At this point I need to cut the baseboards and foam for elevation changes.  I will then take another set of pictures with the main structure base cutouts in location. I will then use my iPad to make detail sketches which will locate all of the out buildings, the pond, the fences and the cattle loading chutes. I will use those sketches, once I'm through changing stuff, ;)  to layout and glue up the baseboard I will use for the build. I'm sure everyone has their own method for completing this part of the build, the "pre-build" but I thought it might be of some interest for me to show this in the build thread. I reserve the right to change stuff as I build. It always looks different once you get all the pieces in 3-D in front of you.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Sounds like a plan John.  Looking forward to it.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 31, 2020, 08:30:13 PM
Sounds like a plan John.  Looking forward to it.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along.  I'm going to get to work on the baseboard later this afternoon.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

I'm sure it will be a beautiful barn. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 01, 2020, 04:52:08 PM
Hey John:

I'm sure it will be a beautiful barn. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk