2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

A useful technique, and certainly more stable than gluing to/over wax paper over template, especially for a large job like that.
Looks good.
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on January 24, 2020, 07:06:40 AM
A useful technique, and certainly more stable than gluing to/over wax paper over template, especially for a large job like that.
Looks good.
--Opa George

George

It works well for me. I have two glass plates on the workbench, the one I use for gluing over templates is normal window glass (you can see the template without distortion), the one I use for working with chalks is 1/4 inch thick - it is actually a glass shelf I repurposed.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I made some more progress on this build, today.  A couple progress photographs of the front wall assembly.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

George has you add a few of the metal castings while the wall section is still on the workbench.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

This is coming along well. Like the color of the walls.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 25, 2020, 04:51:18 AM
Hey John:

This is coming along well. Like the color of the walls.

Karl

Thank you for the kind words, Karl.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, the back wall was assembled over the template.  I still need to add the details before it will be ready for assembly.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

We have started to make a dent in the supply of stained wood pieces.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I added the details to the back wall that I wanted to put on while the wall was laying flat.

The last thing I did last night was glue a window casting in up side down.  You have to know when it's time to quit.  So, first thing this morning I was cutting it loose and turning it around.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also got started on assembling the first side wall.  I decided to deviate from the directions and glue the studs right on the clapboard using a combination of the template and a square.  I liked this better and would do it again on the front and back walls, if I ever build another one of these coal tower kits. ;)

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Last step for tonight was the horizontal braces.  I glued the bottom one in and decided I was ready to quit for the night. So I will start out here in the morning.

John Siekirk

Opa George

That's looking very good, John. 
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on January 28, 2020, 05:24:04 AM
That's looking very good, John. 
--Opa George

George

Thank you for following along and the kind words.
John Siekirk