small office

Started by deemery, September 14, 2020, 10:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I'm working on a small office from a prototype photo.  Although that particular photo is from a Northern location (the snow is a big hint :-) ), I found a bunch of similar structures in Southern locations (including several from a town in MS.) 

The challenge was getting something to look like those scroll-end Ionic columns.  I ended up twirling thin brass around round nose tweezers, then inserting a styrene rod.  The columns should be fluted (and to be most precise, should be slightly smaller diameter at top), but I'm doing "Victorian Vernacular" so I can cheat and use plain columns.  The square Tuscan columns were easy by comparison.

I wanted an interior, so I primed both sides of the styrene walls white, and then painted on wainscoting.  After I painted the windows and added glazing, I glued them in place, and then added interior trim, painted a slightly different brown to stand out.  And yes, one window is glued in upside down, I had real problems with the glue actually holding.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Dave,

Nice little building and your model is coming right along. I think this structure will fit anywhere USA.

Nice job.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Tom, what would be the most likely roofing in your neck of the woods?  Wood shingles, or metal seam?

In the Great Frozen North, I'd expect a slate roof.

dave

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Looks great so far. Nice job on the columns. Don't know if I could have done that. Looks pretty tedious.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Very nice build. I really like how you did the columns.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

deemery

For the dental molding, I found a piece of porch trim that had relatively wide posts.  I trimmed it so the top of the rail and about 3" of the posts were intact, and then glued that to a piece of thin styrene.   The top shows the dental molding piece, assembled and painted, and the bottom is the remainder of the post trim, that I'll use elsewhere.

dave

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

A bit more progress.  I did the floors by cutting .020 scribed and painting it like pine flooring.  Then I cut a piece of .060 styrene the right size of the foundation and porch, centering the floor on it.  I glued the sides to the floor.  I did a similar approach for the ceiling (but I didn't glue it in place.  And I fixed the upside-down window!

dave

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on September 14, 2020, 10:59:33 AM
Tom, what would be the most likely roofing in your neck of the woods?  Wood shingles, or metal seam?

In the Great Frozen North, I'd expect a slate roof.

dave

Dave,

Although metal seams were used, they weren't common. The common roofs were either rolled roofing or shingles.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

Cool little structure, looking forward to seeing this build come together.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Jerry

Dave

Great job on those columns!  The rest is also coming along nicely!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Since I want to add interior lighting, I did a 'light test' with a flashlight in the dark.  One corner needed to be touched up to prevent light leaks.

Then I did more work on the roof.  I glued .015 thick strips flush with the outside of the roof, so they overhang the walls.  This makes for a nice -removable- roof.  I painted a .015x.020 strip the trim color, and will edge-glue that to 2 pieces of unpainted trim also .015 thick, and then edge glue that to the roof, to build up the full set of roof trim as on the prototype.  It won't be an exact match, but should be fairly close.

dave

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb