ZACK BEAGLEMAN O scale scratch build.

Started by hairball, December 08, 2019, 03:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

This is ZACK BEAGLEMAN, O scale scratch build using the OUT BUILDING walls from Tom Yorkes #105 kit

I used the side wall with the square 12 x 12" scale pocket hole in the side to run a wood beam across to make a floor structure to replace the previously blown up boiler room.  The foundation walls were made flat and recarved.

I wanted to show exposed frame work on the front wall ,  and ripped a few boards for effect.   The paint is a boxcar red I believe over floquil driftwood stain.  Couple of touchups to give that worn out look was done with paint.

Shingles are laid one at a time using real birch veneer chopped to barn length 2 ft long, coloured with fiebing leather dye and alcohol in a custom mix I did .

Notice the  ^^ stepped in ^^ front wall and the rear wall. Done to get rid of the joint that always appears in hydrocal.  I knocked the sharp edge off the corners with a nail file followed by a brass brush, then a zona saw was used to extend the stone joints around the corner.  A technique I developed to improve the yorke and any other hydrocal walls I would use.

This is my favorite structure and I plan on utilizing it again, this time making the rear wider with a YORKE pool hall bordello main building rear wall.   Has bricked up window and rusty distorted rear metal doors.
Make a great new build.

mike lynch..........HAIRBALL

postalkarl

Hey Hairball:

WOW!!!! very nicely done. Love the colors and weathering.

Karl

hairball

thank u karl, I just love creating things and thinking of ways to modify an existing plan.

The above build forgot to mention all doors and windows are grandt line, as is the smoke stack and the widows walk iron railing.

Sometimes when your building something you just don't want it to appear it came from a bad part of town where the property owners don't care about upkeep.  Lite weathering can be just as interesting as heavy filthy weathering.  Done them both ways.  Over weathering is easily done.  Tom yorke has a penchant for it .

mike lynch..............HAIRBALL