G. BILYOU , harness supplies and duck decoys

Started by hairball, December 01, 2019, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

I was sitting there figuring I need to create something entirely different, how about a place that makes eye glasses.   So thinking cap snugged down I envisioned a tall front wall with 2 openings to replicate the look of eye glasses , as the sign.

I decided to use wood FORSTNER bit to make perfectly round openings.  I lay clapboard on a piece of plywood and turn on the drill press around 500 rpm and go thru the wood cleanly.   Next I choose a doorway and windows for the front wall  , position them, mark with really shape pencil and cut them out using my small breakaway blade knife with OLFA blade.  Better pay attention when using those, you will go right to bone if not .

So now I have 2 really nice round holes and just happens that a Floquil paint bottle is almost right size.  I take a piece of 2 x 12-14 "?? basswood and soak it in some warm water for 20 minutes. Now take the strip wood and wrap it around the bottle and tape in place on bottle, then do the other.      Next day when dry remove and begin fitting them into the holes, taking your time to get a real good fit and little shave at a time..

Originally was just going to be a simple build but as is normal for me, gotta kick it up some.
Was going to use a stone foundation in hydrocal, but switched to wainscoting instead.   Get the side and rear walls hacked out, nail heads, lifted claps.  All the components get floquil driftwood stain coated followed by a choice of a darker blue paint. After testing the 4 different shade blues I had on scrap , I chose whatever one this is.  Using my standard paint technique shaking hell out of paint followed by stir with popsicle stick .  I dip 1/2 " wide brush into diosol thinners then into paint, followed by ONE pass across the wood clap surface, then reload.

Windows and doors get painted ANTIQUE WHITE floquil , left for a day to get hard.  Then taking a small pointed brush I dip the tip into the well shaken paint and use only whats in the lid.  Holding the brush at around 30--40 degrees angled to the frame and apply the paint.  Put aside till next day.  If one wants to dirty it up, place part in dark alcohol ink wash, draw out and lay on wax paper.  The dark alco-ink will make the detail in the window and door pop.

The front porch cover happened all on its own while the wall was sitting there.   The upper corbel grid from grandt was the key and led to the whole look.  The B I S raised seam roofing was rusted with acid and I think that chimney is also from grandt.

The round opening signs I found online as actual originals which I copied.  Happy I made this into harness and duck decoy structure rather than eye glasses.

mike lynch.......madmike3434.............HAIRBALL

Opa George

Mike, great work. This is one more inspired build.  I like the wainscoting as opposed to the stone foundation--seems to give it a more period look. And you are right, the switch to a harness supply/duck decoy shop is more subtle and effective.  Beautiful!

I also plan to give your technique for curving strip wood a try. That will come in very handy once I master it. Thanks!

--George

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

hairball

Quote from: Opa George on December 03, 2019, 05:05:21 PM
Mike, great work. This is one more inspired build.  I like the wainscoting as opposed to the stone foundation--seems to give it a more period look. And you are right, the switch to a harness supply/duck decoy shop is more subtle and effective.  Beautiful!

I also plan to give your technique for curving strip wood a try. That will come in very handy once I master it. Thanks!

--George

OPA...........it works great, as long as the wood is soaked.  Whatever size you need just find a bottle or , jar , or can .  The water soaking stretches the liguins ? in the wood allowing it to easily bend. Its about the thickness of the wood, strip wood we use is more easily bent.    Steam from a kettle will also work..  I bent 1" thick ash around a bend using a steam box.  YOU TUBE has a ton of stuff about bending wood, some amazing stuff guys are doing.

Sites like this should be for letting others know how to do things , makes modeling much easier and enjoyable.  !!!!!!!!!!!

mike lynch............HAIRBALL