Jordan vehicles

Started by Jim Donovan, January 31, 2018, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

I am modeling an HO layout set in 1908. As part of that I am attempting to put in realistic carriages, wagons, cars and trucks of that time. Jordan produced several kits that are exactly what I like to have on the layout. As they are out of business I have had to buy a couple from e bay.

I built a buck board wagon as my first try.  It proved very challenging. I have a carriage, a 1911 delivery truck and a 1904 Oldsmobile waiting to be built. However before doing so I need to get better.

This is my first post and am hoping other members have built Jordan models. If so I would like any suggestions on best methods found to make these kits look the best they can.  I am attaching a picture of my first attempt. The barrel shown in the back will be replaced with something better. The model was airbrushed with parts still attached to the tree or while on masking tape. First a soft gray coat and then either green or brown where wanted. Bed was left gray.  While making it I had to fix the front axle I accidentally snapped. These small models are hard with 62 year old hands.

Thanks for the help.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

bparrish

Jim....

First ... welcome aboard.

After that.  Only 62.  !!!!

You seem to be doing just fine.

My tricks for Jordon Models are two ... liquid cements and don't get in a hurry. 

Your idea of painting first is really good.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jerryrbeach

Jim,

Welcome aboard!  Hope to see more photos of your modeling. 

Jordan kits are definitely a challenge to build.  I try to build two or three at once, to allow glue joints to set fully before trying to handle each for the next step.  I build them on a small sheet of glass to help keep wheels and axles aligned.  I have had pieces move after I attached them and set them aside, so I try to use strip wood or whatever I can find to support the assemblies while the glue sets. 

A good set of tweezers and some type of magnification is a must.  I use a small paint brush to apply the liquid cement.  The brush is composed of just a few bristles and applies a very small dot of liquid cement to the joints.  If there is very little contact at the fastening point, once the plastic cement dries, I will add a small drop of ACC with the end of a wire to reinforce the joint.

There are other options available for your era.  RS Laser has a couple laser cut wagon kits and Bar Mills offers a milk wagon.  There are out of production kits from Dynamodels for a 1908 Buick, a Maxwell, Stutz, and Stanley Steamer that come up on ebay.  These kits are crude when compared to the Jordan offerings, but do offer some variety.  Preiser has wagons, but they are pricey unless you buy them in one of their figure sets, Set # 16354 has two farm wagons.  Another option is to buy Grandt wagon wheels separately and scratch your own wagon bodies.
Jerry

Janbouli

Welcome Jim, good start , look forward to seeing more of your builds.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

Jim,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to other built Jordan your working on.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Jim

Welcome to the forum. You did a very nice job on your first model - Jordon kits are a challenge. I find having the right tools tweezers etc. right on the workbench where you can reach for them right when you need them is the key. I find using a glue that will set quickly while I hold the pieces in place to be very helpful on these very small models. If you post your next build I think you will find the the forum members will post tips along the way. It never hurts to ask questions. Again, welcome.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Welcome to the forum Jim.....nice work on the wagon and I'm looking forward to seeing your work.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Jim,
I posted some pics of a couple wagons that I have done on the D&N vehicle thread.  Maybe they will give you some ideas.
Jerry

jimmillho

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

That is a great looking Wagon.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Thanks to all for the input and comments.  I reviewed the Jordan's in the D & N thread, amazing. I have my work list from the tips including glass sheet for working on,  use fast glue and apply with fine tip brush REALLY FINE, get organized, all tools needed available and reachable (I tend to miss that one), also getting another 'extra hands' holder so will have 2 to help these 62 year old hands.

Again thanks, good advice and comments. I will post when next I put on the magnifiers and work on a car 1.5 inches long.

jbvb

I've only built Jordan's Fordson tractor and baggage cart to date.  I got them together with liquid cement (MEK in my case) but since they travel with my modules, they've gotten damaged over the years.  Once one of those parts breaks, re-gluing the fracture with liquid cement rarely works for long, so I usually fall back on a little dab of tube (model airplane) cement.  It's visible when you pick the vehicle up, but the audience isn't supposed to be doing that.
James

gleiphart

Welcome Jim. I am a "spry" soon to be 64 year old and love putting those Jordan kits together. All the above advice is great advice. I've built about a dozen or so of them and have a stash of about 60+ Jordan kits. I just finished a the Jordan Mack Railcar and it turned out rather well, perhaps not stand alone contest quality but certainly diorama eye catching. I have found that in all my worries about the finest details, they still show up much better on photos. We know where the faults are but I heard that the mark of a craftsman is their ability to hide their mistakes. This forum if full of such secrets. I am looking forward to more on this thread and may muster enough courage to post some photos.

I heard at the Altoona summit that the dies will be destroyed so that explains why those kits are creeping up in price! Keep pressing on. A steady hand and patience will go a long way.

Jim Donovan

I'd like to see your pictures, hope you post them.  It would be a shame if Jordan molds are destroyed, once gone I doubt anyone will design replacements. I've been able to get three Jordan's that will fit my layout perfect to go with the one built. One was bought from a gentleman who saw my need on another forum.  He saw a picture of part of my layout I'm building and surprised me by including a Campbell bandstand kit, saying it would look good on my layout (it will!). I am really enjoying this hobby and the people that make it happen.

I have patience, just wish the hands would listen to the mind better. In the meantime bought two "helping hands" and better magnifying glasses. They will have to do.

Lynnb

Jim you did a great job. I've only built one Jordan and used MEK . I have at least a dozen more sitting on the shelf and hope to do a couple soon.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Jim Donovan

Thanks appreciate it. They are tricky but fun. I have three more teed up when time permits. A member sent me a DVD so hoping to be better on next one. It is fun to learn as you go. I post when I do the next one.