Pennsylvania K4 Repaint

Started by ACL1504, March 17, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 01, 2020, 08:31:17 AM
Great job Tom.......all you need is the heavyweights for it to pull.  8)

Greg,

Thank you my friend. We do have the heavyweights. The Judge is populating them during our forced shut down.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on April 01, 2020, 11:13:37 AM
Beautiful looking engine Tom - great job
Doug

Doug,

I appreciate the kind compliment, thank you.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

RWL

I see you numbered it for the second one rostered, The striping came out excellent, it will look exceptional when you finish all the enhancements you plan on. What are you using for lenses in the markers? Looking good!

Bob

ACL1504

Quote from: RWL on April 01, 2020, 05:19:12 PM

I see you numbered it for the second one rostered, The striping came out excellent, it will look exceptional when you finish all the enhancements you plan on. What are you using for lenses in the markers? Looking good!

Bob

Bob,

Thank you. The cab number was the one on the K4 prior to the repaint so I used it for old time sake.

I think I have enough white and red MDC marker jewels so I'll use them. I think I have an MV lens that will fit the headlight.

Appreciate the feedback.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started to add details to the K4 and got side tracked on the gear box. This is the original PFM gear box. I noticed the shaft wasn't turning smoothly so I took it apart.

In the photo below you can see the once fresh lube in the gear box housing and worm gear is now petrified.

Petrified grease/lube on the gear, bronze bushing and the two brass spacers.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This just some of the crud that came out of the groves in the worm gear.

Fast forward here. I soaked the parts in paint thinner for a few minutes, rinsed them and washed them in warm soapy water and rinsed again and then dried.

Quite a difference now.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I applied some hobby Teflon lube/grease to the top of the gear housing.

I put all the parts back on the gear shaft and set it in the housing. I then carefully turned it to get the lube on the gear.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then took a Q-tip and cleaned out the gear box cover. The black on the Q-tip is the crud I removed from inside the cover.

Continued in a few more. Time for a Diet Pepsi.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When DCC is installed in a loco, especially brass, the motor must be insulated from the frame. I cut a piece of 0.40 styrene to fit the motor mount on the loco and glued it in place.

I then reinstalled the motor mount on the loco.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

As my luck would have it, the old Sagami motor was bad. I was just bragging to Chip, B&0 Guy, that I've never had a Sagami motor go bad. This one is  only 44 years old so I'm not sure why it went bad. :-X

And, as my luck would have it, I just happened to have a couple of spare motors on hand.

I mixed some epoxy and glued the new motor to the white styrene on the motor mount. I made sure it was aligned properly and then let it sit so the epoxy could dry.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Tom, did you do the 'run across the glass' test before you glued the motor in place?  Also, if the motor is glued, how would you replace the rubber tubing in the U-Joint? 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

What type of tubing is it?  Size?  Where do you acquire this type of tubing?  Thanks in advance for the answers. 

Jeff

jerryrbeach

Tom,

As usual, simply beautiful!  My hat's off to you.  Fortunately you cannot see the glare from the top of my head. ;D ;D ;D
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on April 12, 2020, 04:23:51 PM
Tom, did you do the 'run across the glass' test before you glued the motor in place?  Also, if the motor is glued, how would you replace the rubber tubing in the U-Joint? 

dave

Dave,

Great questions. And, I'll answer one that wasn't asked.

1. Yes, the glass test was done and all is very smooth and quiet.

2. The motor was glued to the motor mount. The motor mount is attached to the frame with two screws on each side. You can see in the photo below how I've done it. So, the motor mount isn't glued to the frame. Once the two screws are removed the motor mount can be removed with the motor. The tubing can then be removed or replaced.

3.  The two holes in the top of the new Sagami can motor are holes for screws so the motor could be mounted directly to the motor mount.
I turned the motor so the screw holes were not likely to get any of the epoxy oozed up into the motor.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 12, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
What type of tubing is it?  Size?  Where do you acquire this type of tubing?  Thanks in advance for the answers. 

Jeff

Jeff,

Another great question. The tubing is a rubber(neoprene?) I purchased it from a local RC Plane Hobby Store. When the store opens again, I'll get more and send a sample to you. I also got some off Ebay but the quality of that tubing was very bad and I ended up junking the Ebay tubing.

The side of this tubing is 5/32 OD and the hole is 1/16 ID.  Hope this helps.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com